FRENCH MISCELLANEOUS SECTION

Sempai

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score

Lyrics:

Tiens, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin Pour les Alsaciens, les Suisses et les Lorrains, pour les Belges y en a plus, pour les Belges y en a plus, ce sont des tireurs au cul.

1st sonnerie
Nous sommes des dégourdis,
Nous sommes des lascars
Des types pas ordinaires.
Nous avons souvent notre cafard,
Nous sommes des légionnaires.

1st couplet
Au Tonkin, la Légion immortelle
À Tuyen-Quang illustra notre drapeau,
Héros de Camerone et frères modèles
Dormez en paix dans vos tombeaux.

2nd sonnerie
Nos anciens ont su mourir.
Pour la gloire de la Légion.
Nous saurons bien tous périr
Suivant la tradition.

2nd couplet
Au cours de nos campagnes lointaines,
Affrontant la fièvre et le feu,
Oublions avec nos peines,
La mort qui nous oublie si peu.
Nous la Légion.

in English:

Here you are, some blood pudding, some blood pudding, some blood pudding For the Alsatians, the Swiss, and the Lorrains, For the Belgians, there's none left, For the Belgians, there's none left, They're lazy shirkers (repeat)

1st sonnet
We're at ease,
We're rough-and-tough
No ordinary guys,
We've often got our black moods,
We are Legionnaires

1st couplet
In Tonkin, the Immortal Legion
At Tuyen Quang we honoured our flag,
The heroes of Camerone and model brothers
Sleep in peace in your tombs

2nd sonnet
Our ancestors died
For the glory of the Legion.
We will all perish
According to the tradition.

2nd couplet
During our far-off campaigns,
Facing fever and fire,
Forgetting with our sadnesses,
Death, which forgets us so little.
We the Legion.

Sempai

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Merci beaucoup mon ami! I find it hard to find french marches and songs of WW2 and WW1 and other ages/eras. Especially as my french it´s lost and forgotten as I wasn´t never able to speak it. :((( I took the freedom to add two vids of Youtube. Hope that is OK for You.

Louis

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
None.
Email
bencejas@gmail.com
Hey Sempai, I read who Claude-Joseph Rouget de Lisle (1760-1836), a French military engineer, wrote the words and music of "La Marseillaise" in the course of one night. -

His intention was that the song was used as a marching song of the French army when they entered the Renania (or Rheinland for you) after the outbreak of war between France and Austria and Russia. -

Having taken only one night, is excellent. -

Sempai

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I find it a nice piece - no matter who it wrote. But if it should been written in one night that would have a lot for the thought the melody was known long before and the words were added the night. But be it as it want to be - It wrote history as a song of the French. And I find it nevertheless good work. And even if sometimes should be found evidence for the other story - that a german wrote the tune or perhaps it was even an ancient german melody - it will stay in the annals of history as THAT FRENCH SONG.
The sad on that thing is that people quarrel with each other (and not only about that song´s roots) who have fought together in ancient times against islamic/ottoman assaults etc.

Sempai

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Here You can post Your marches, marching songs, comments, critics etc. I´ll copy it asap into the relevant folder then.

Greetings :)