Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

From the BFC forums: Allied AAR: PzC CM Campaign: The Road to Eindhoven.

Nathangun

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
This is an AAR of a campaign I'm involved with over at the BFC forums GM-ed by our very own Kohlenklau (wait for applause while Kohlenklau takes a bow) with me as the Allied CO playing out our moves in PzC and IanL and ChappyCanuck fighting the CM battles.

The situation:

Gentlemen of XXX Corps.

post-56596-0-27881100-1424959472.jpg

Nathangun address's his troops before going into action.

Today we will advance to rescue our brothers in arms in Arnhem. It will be a hard battle but I'm told jerry has thrown in the towel.

We will be fighting young boys and old men, so we'll hit jerry for six and be home in time for Christmas.

post-56596-0-79186900-1424959973.jpg

Has it turned out there was much resistance from the 'old men'.

Today our orders are to liberate Valkenswaard.

CMPzCTRTE_zps6f2801f2.jpg

It is now 0600, 18 September 1944. The weather for today is warm and damp, with a light breeze blowing from the south west. The sky is slightly overcast.

Irish Guards Group will attack and seize Valkenswaard in preparation for tomorrow's XXX Corps assault on Eindhoven.
3 rifle companies of 3/Irish Guards, 3 squadrons of 2/Irish Guards (approx grand total of 15 Shermans due to damaged and KO'd vehicles), 1 troop of Recce-

Irish Guards (3 Stuarts) and the 25 pounders of the 55th Field Artillery Battery (8 guns). The Canadian "Tiffies" of No. 129 and No. 143 Squadron (4 planes each) will form "cab ranks" and signal your ALO when they come on station...also you have the air recon boys from RAF 662 Squadron. As reinforcements, XXX Corps has allocated 1 additional battery of 25 pounders (8 guns) from the 4th Royal Irish Horse Artillery as well as 23rd Canadian Field Co. and the 14th Field Squadron. Consult your PzC arrival schedule for the details. The Division Ordnance Shop is working hard to patch up a few shermans damaged in yesterday's battles and will dispatch them up with fresh crews as soon as available.

Previous scouting forays indicate you are opposed by relatively low quality troops in prepared positions. Each one is a light company in strength with some
Flak guns in support. One battery of Artillery typically support these 2nd rate blokes. One last thing...Air Recce and the Intel chaps have suggested
Jerry may have a small panzer unit in Walre being held in reserve.

Use standard tactical procedures to soften up the enemy with both direct and indirect fire. Conduct coordinated assaults as needed. Maintain lines of
communication and supply.

OCCUPY Valkenswaard: 30 points
OTHER HEXES: CONSULT PzC map for points.
DESTROY Enemy Units: as per the usual SOP

Here are our opening moves.

I started the turn with a aerial reconnaissance we've spotted some enemy troops dug in to the north-east and in the woods to the north of Valkenswaard.

I moved units up the road and managed to get a squadron of Shermans across the river.

Having spotted enemy blocking the way across the bridge, I ordered air strikes plus a artillery bombardment in preparation for an assault across the river.

Units that will participate in the assault are:

1/3 Irish Guards

2/3/2 Irish Guards

1/3/2 Irish Guards

All available air and artillery assets will support the attack.

post-56596-0-05893700-1424960683.gif

Here is our OOB.

ALLIED%20OOB_zpsl6xwr8wj.jpg

Photo Recce Spitfire provided this snapshot for the ops boys.
We're still waiting to hear if the bridge was captured intact.
Either way, you must get that road!

TOPSECRET_zpsq8ctvcoc.jpg

In the CM phase of the turn there were 3 battles, 2 mini and one assault commanded by ChappyCanuck which is still in progress, here: Assault on hex (1,7)

Of the other two battles, one was commanded by IanL, in which he had to capture the bridge before the German's blew it. This AAR can be read here: TRtE Mini Battle 2 – take the bridge

I fought the other mini battle 'Lost Eagles' and here it is..

SUPPLEMENTAL ALLIED BRIEFING FOR CMPZC EINDHOVEN MINI BATTLE 1 "LOST EAGLES"

It is 0853, you are Lieutenant "Buck" Dunning of the 506th PIR. As described previously, your "V" of C-47's was bracketed by heavy FlaK as it approached Eindhoven....

SGT Guarnere: "BUCK!!....BUCK!!..."

You unbuckle your parachute harness and see Sgt Guarnere making the hand motion for rapid movement EAST off of your DZ as he runs towards you in a low crouched posture.

SGT Guarnere: <slightly out of breath> "Lieutenant Dunning..as I wuz coming down...I saw German troops on the road to the west...and some of our boys over....in that field to the east of us....I recommend...sir...that we skedaddle outta here!"

BUCK: "I am in full agreement SGT Guarnere!"

^
Proceed off of DZ Green and move to DZ Red. Check around the discarded parachutes (mod by juju) for injured troopers, render aid and recover any available items.
There may also be a drop cannister in the area...
^
To simulate the more lengthy rendering of first aid to troopers, set-up in the "aid station" house and at 0915 a "walking wounded" paratrooper will arrive there signifying he is splinted/bandaged and ready to move off the battlefield.

Another trooper who came down in a separate area will arrive at the east map edge at 0915-0920 to point the way out. Carefully read his instructions and reload the turn if necessary to see what he says.

Exit the map by 0920-0925. <5 minute variable time, it will be a close call...>

Here's the first aid station.

post-56596-0-57418900-1425997316.jpg

Here are the wounded troopers in the east field.

LE3_zpsd4t0fapd.jpg

Here's how things look when my troops unharness.

Turn 28-24

LE1_zpsewbey5vx.png

I give orders to the squad on the right flank and the HQ unit to move over to the left flank in bounds.
As they draw for breath Lt Dunning's HQ section gets fired on from enemy troops from behind.

LE4_zpsqq8tibqt.jpg

The radio operator gets hit, but there's no chance to administer first aid as Lt Dunning and his section are pinned, they must make a run for it.

LE5_zpsj7i9z31z.jpg

Two more enemy squads appear to heap on the pressure.

LE6_zpsd3kcx0dt.jpg

Turn 23-21:

With covering fire the troopers beat a hasty retreat, however they suffer one more casualty.

LE7_zpsolua29ix.jpg

The troopers make it to safety, and Lt Dunning takes stock of things.

LE8_zpspcm2cbya.jpg

09:05AM- 09:14

Lt Dunning and his men make it to safety, now they have to keep going.

LE9_zpshww16vld.jpg

LE10_zps3csoncnz.jpg

Cpl 'Sniper' Jones observes enemy troops moving up the road.

LE11_zpsb1qqs4vn.jpg

Sgt Guarnere cautiously walks out to the wounded troopers in the west field.

LE12_zps6rflvbxy.jpg

But there is no time, the enemy are pressing.

LE13_zpswaucsdxc.jpg

Cpl Jones get's a nasty surprise....

LE17_zpsguuvzwut.jpg

...but he wasn't the only one.....

LE18_zpsxnoajh00.jpg

... and somehow manages...

LE20_zpst7whi9um.jpg

....to survive and make a run for it and then takes one down before moving on...

LE22_zpsmiufqzvf.jpg

...The enemy throw smoke grenades, perhaps trying to out flank Lt Dunning and Corporal Jones....

LE28_zpspxubbmcf.jpg

...Lt Dunning orders his men to use the smoke as cover and make a run for the buildings.....

LE29_zpstfsbd5s4.jpg

....As they make into the garden Lt Dunning and his radio operator are hit.....

LE31_zpsw3g93nkx.jpg

.......Corporal Jones makes it into the building and fires on the advancing Germans...

LE33_zpsqi0dobzt.jpg

....Moments later a projectile hits the window and Corporal jones is killed...

LE34_zpsuyxjvvve.jpg

In the next turn a two man rifle team appear and harass the German infantry from the rear....

LE35_zpsitxa54yw.jpg

LE36_zpspusozgrz.jpg

....but there is to many of them and are forced to retreat...

LE37_zpsitlxxb20.jpg

... both are eventually killed by superior number of infantry.

THE END​

Back