Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gas Meter

Ted, I love this old technology. Can you describe how it operated?
LOL …….. The old stuff is just as magical as the new stuff ..... how it works well, left hand corner of the iron box you can see a dial, on the dial is a slot where the money [coins only] would be put in, centre of the dial is a wing type nut which turned when the coins were put in, coin would drop into the machine where the padlock can be seen, that's to stop the tenants nicking the money, hey presto you now have gas...… Hope you can understand that Doug

@Gunner ...… This was the old type Gas Meter when I was a Kid in London, we were discussing in a earlier post

So that was inside?
Some dude had to come in the house and empty the coins now and then?
Heck of a job.

Before we switched from oil to gas we had a 500 gallon oil tank that a tanker truck would stop by a couple of times a year and top it off.
It wasn't on a schedule so we would come home from work and find a surprise bill from the oil company for a thousand bucks in our mailbox. o_O

At least you didn't have wallet busting surprises!

<snipped>
Before we switched from oil to gas we had a 500 gallon oil tank that a tanker truck would stop by a couple of times a year and top it off.
It wasn't on a schedule so we would come home from work and find a surprise bill from the oil company for a thousand bucks in our mailbox. o_O
<snipped>

Me too! The local oil company owner was a jerk about demanding full payment in thirty days as well. :censored:
One of the first things I did when I could afford to do so as a new home owner, was switch from oil to gas.
I was happy to get that ungainly oil tank out of my basement and use that area to build storage shelves for all my war-games and military miniatures. ;)

Back