Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gunner, HEAT, PC!

I'm confused by the title, too. Is it supposed to be the command given when an enemy PC comes into view?

It is part of the fire command in the US armor forces. The tank commander (TC) alerts the Gunner, specifies ammo type for the Loader, specifies target. So,a full fire command is as follows....

TC: “Gunner, Heat, PC.
Loader: “Up!” (Indicated HEAT round is loaded and safety is off on the 120 mm smooth bore main gun).
Gunner: “Identified.” (Indicating the Gunner has identified the intended target).
TC: “Fire.”
Gunner: “ On the Way.” BOOM
TC: “Target” or “Re engage“ or “cease fire.”

Soft targets like PCs are serviced with HEAT rounds, while hard targets like Tanks get SABOT rounds. And of course for multiple targets the commands are essentially the same, with some additions to designate which target the TC wants to engage first.

Last edited:
My buddy was a TC for 20+, senior NCO, might have crossed your path at some point. Nevertheless, I can't remember what he told me the TC command was when you had a mis-fire, but I am pretty sure it had the word "f**k" in it...

Last edited:
It is part of the fire command in the US armor forces. The tank commander (TC) alerts the Gunner, specifies ammo type for the Loader, specifies target. So,a full fire command is as follows....

TC: “Gunner, Heat, PC.
Loader: “Up!” (Indicated HEAT round is loaded and safety is off on the 120 mm smooth bore main gun).
Gunner: “Identified.” (Indicating the Gunner has identified the intended target).
TC: “Fire.”
Gunner: “ On the Way.” BOOM
TC: “Target” or “Re engage“ or “cease fire.”

Soft targets like PCs are serviced with HEAT rounds, while hard targets like Tanks get SABOT rounds. And of course for multiple targets the commands are essentially the same, with some additions to designate which target the TC wants to engage first.

So what is a PC? I was thinking it meant Personal Computer, but maybe it means... Personel Carrier?

So what is a PC? I was thinking it meant Personal Computer, but maybe it means... Personel Carrier?

I was thinking People Carrier..... :whistleo:

drifting-hyundai-van-isnt-your-typical-people-carrier-138361-7.jpg

I'm confused by the title, too. Is it supposed to be the command given when an enemy PC comes into view?

Yes. The standard fire command format alerts the Crew ("Gunner"), specifies the ammunition to load ("Sabot, Heat, High Explosive, Co-ax Machine gun"), and identifies the target ("Tank, PC, Truck, Troops in the open") for the gunner to find in his sights and engage. This continues until terminated by another command, typically, "Cease fire. Target destroyed". Then, because firing on the enemy usually exposes your position, the Tank Commander would usually issue a movement order telling the driver to relocate to an alternate firing position.

EDIT: What @Wellsonian already said.

Gentlemen, we are privileged to have two Tank Commanders here, @Badger73 and @Wellsonian . I am not joking. They are both actual former Tank Commanders (actually company tank commanders, if I'm not mistaken), in the United States Army.

I am glad to consider each of them my friend. Not sure why they took me under their wing, but hey, I'm not gonna argue. ;-)

Gentlemen, we are privileged to have two Tank Commanders here, @Badger73 and @Wellsonian . I am not joking. They are both actual former Tank Commanders (actually company tank commanders, if I'm not mistaken), in the United States Army.

I believe @Badger73 even began his career in a Sherman, if I'm not mistaken...

As an ex tanker, I just have to ask...why not "Gunner, Sabot, Tank!" I mean, that is much sexier.
It's all in the FAQ.
Q: Why is it called "Gunner, HEAT, PC!" and why is there an APFSDS dart in the logo if the name says HEAT?

A: "Gunner, HEAT, PC!" is a fire command used by US tank crews when targeting a personnel carrier, or "PC". It was chosen for two reasons. First, it's a play on the letters "PC" since this is a PC game. Second, it's much better for SEO than "gunner, sabot, tank" would have been. There's a dart in the logo because a dart looks way cooler.

I believe @Badger73 even began his career in a Sherman, if I'm not mistaken...

Close; not the M4 Sherman but rather the M60A1. It mounted the 105mm cannon.

@Wellsonian commanded a tank company. I did not. I led a tank battalion heavy mortar platoon (M106 Self-propelled 4.2"/107mm) and a tank platoon as well as being a tank company XO (Executive Officer) during my four years of active service.

Not sure why they took me under their wing, but hey, I'm not gonna argue. ;-)

Once you squatted there, it was too hard to shoo you away . . . :whistleo:

Back