Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hearts of Iron 4

HOI4 has been the first title of this series I only played for some hours and then gave it up.
I played several hundreds hours the older and heavily modded HOIs. My impression of HOI4 has been that it is more directed to casual gamers to lift this series out of the niche and make it interesting to a broader playerbase and therefore for me interesting things of the old HOI had to be sacrificed.

Had some time to delve into this. My Italian campaign in Ethiopia stalled before Addis Ababa, due to supply constraints. Had to trace back to Italy and expand the Rome-Anzio railway. Before No Step Back it wouldn't have been any problem. Things actually make more sense it seems. You launch offensives with railways, ports and supply in mind. Before French Somaliand was just another French Colony. Now with its port and railway that connects the capital of Ethiopia, I see it in a different light.

North Africa is now something in 1937 I have to decide how to handle if I have any intentions of future offensive operations. I doubt I can drop a boat load of units without some sort of preparation like before.

In the past players would launch huge offensives with large forces in bumfu** nowhere. That's no more. Probably why you had these crazy youtube play troughs where people would take minor nations and did all sorts of crazy stuff.

The old saying that amateurs talk strategy and tactics, while professionals talk logistics is now very true. I've seen some players complain about the new mechanics, but I think its a huge step in the right direction.

Back