Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hellcat and Tigercat and Bearcat - Oh My!

My friends and I used to play quite a few air combat computer games, starting with Aces of the Pacific in the mid 1990's.
All those planes were fun to fly. Fairly nimble, good engine power, and magnificent firepower.

The Bearcat sported 4 x 20mm cannons and would make very short work of anything close. Just needed a short burst and the Japanese planes would explode. :oops:
The Hellcat was awesome at even long range, with 6 x 50 cals, and the Tigercat had 4 of each.
I must admit that I enjoyed flying the Jug the most (in the flight sims set in the ETO), with 8 x 50 cals! Good ammo loadout too.

I cannot believe how ancient and clunky these graphics look now! Back in the mid 90's they seemed decent. :sneaky:

Ahhh, man good old Aces of the Pacific! I must have flown a million hours playing that game and its European cousin. A contemporary game that was great fun was MicroProse F-15 Strike Eagle III

"An unmodified production F8F-1 set a 1946 time-to-climb record (after a run of 115 ft/35 m) of 10,000 ft (3,048 m) in 94 seconds (6,383 fpm).
The Bearcat held this record for 10 years until it was broken by a jet fighter (an F-16 which still could not match the Bearcat's short takeoff distance).
" - Wiki
---
Go ahead. Take a moment to think about that. :shockaroona:
They lightened it as much as possible taking the guns, ammo, etc. off and giving it only a minimal fuel load. It eventually ran out of gas and coasted back down for a landing.
A former Bearcat pilot said that an F8F glided like a greased tire iron and that if both were dropped from altitude it was likely the Bearcat would hit the ground first. :cool:

"An unmodified production F8F-1 set a 1946 time-to-climb record (after a run of 115 ft/35 m) of 10,000 ft (3,048 m) in 94 seconds (6,383 fpm).
The Bearcat held this record for 10 years until it was broken by a jet fighter (an F-16 which still could not match the Bearcat's short takeoff distance).
" - Wiki
---
Go ahead. Take a moment to think about that. :shockaroona:
They lightened it as much as possible taking the guns, ammo, etc. off and giving it only a minimal fuel load. It eventually ran out of gas and coasted back down for a landing.
A former Bearcat pilot said that an F8F glided like a greased tire iron and that if both were dropped from altitude it was likely the Bearcat would hit the ground first. :cool:
I had totally forgot about the Bearcat!t

Back