Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hey Y'all

R

Rake

I actually joined about a week ago, but another long week at work :rolleyes: has kept me from posting a greeting. Work getting in the way of fun is also one of the reasons that I have not yet played CM PBEM. I'm from the southeast of the U.S., though I've lived in several different areas of the country. At one time or another, I've lived within an hour's drive of every town in Virginia. Grew up in "Joisey", just across the Hudson from Manhattan. Florida, Tennessee and Maryland were homes while I did some time in the USN. Spent some time in Vegas and followed that up with 6 years in Ketchum/Sun Valley, Idaho - I truly wish I'd never left there, but the billionaires are making that place too expensive for the millionaires and I'm nowhere close to being either.

I've been around Combat Mission since way back to CMBO. I'm typically a Day One purchaser of CM titles, although I had gotten away from the game for a bit over the past few years. I've started back in and own all of the titles now with the exception of the Shock Force expansions (I'll likely pick these up at some point). I've finally reinstalled everything on a relatively new machine. As I approach retirement, I'm hoping to have a bit of time to start playing H2H; the AI is getting a bit tiresome.

I tend to lurk more than posting on every forum I frequent. I've been on the BFC forums since before the Night of the Refreshing Monkeys and currently have 328 posts listed to my account. In addition to playing the game, I have messed around a bit with modding (just icons and such so far). Photoshop is a hobby that ties in with my amateurish photography. I'm also in civil engineering (starting out in surveying) so mapmaking is enjoyable for me. I had made a couple of maps, including one that was 2 x 3 km around Mortain, until I lost them in a crash.

Hopefully, as my work schedule starts winding down, I'll be able to devote a bit more time to this game which has given me a great deal of enjoyment over the past 20+ years. The bad news is that my current project still has another 18 months (according to the schedule) before construction is complete. 60+ hour weeks are the norm and the contractor is behind schedule. I'll try to participate more frequently than I have in other forums, will always answer a PM and am usually around even if I'm not saying anything.

I hope to get to know many of you whose names are familiar from other hobby forums.

Mike (aka Rake)

Big welcome to the Club @Rake The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Welcome Mike,

I'll be heading down to Virginia next week with my brother.
Going to see my nephews in Richmond
We're going in a day early so we can take a day to tour some of the battlefields around there before hanging out with the family for the weekend .

Designing a huge map eh?
Perhaps someday we can set up a multi-player battle on one.

Have fun on the FGM!

Ted (aka Gunner)

@Gunner Ted, I'm currently in Fredericksburg and living atop Lee's Hill. I swear, some nights last Decmber I saw an old guy riding a grey horse trekking throgh the neighborhood. :oops:

I spent a lot of time during "lockdown" touring the local battlefields. Of all, Spotsy CH is my favorite - I've spent a couple of days there and still haven't seen it all.

Of course, there are quite a few battlefields closer to Richmond,including most of the Peninsula Campaign and the end of the Overland Campaign leading to the seizes of Richmond and Petersburg. Still, within a half hour of my place, there are all of the Fredericksburg battlefields, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Brandy Station & Spotsylvania. Inside of an hour, I can be at N. Anna, Trevillian Station, Cold Harbor and Manassas. Richmond is not much further away.

I certainly hope to have the time to do a large map or two. First, I've got to find some time to actually get my @$$ handed to me PBEM... too many bad habits learned while playing Hal.

Thanks to all for the greetings. Looking forward to being an active member of a great club.

Last edited by a moderator:
1620612498307.png

Welcome to the club ... Have a donut and some coffee!

Back