Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hi, i'm noob from the UK

N

noob

Hi im noob but you can call me Andy :) heres my introduction, i've been interested in war since childhood but my gaming life began quite late into my twenties when i started reading the Shelby Foote trilogy about the American Civil War, i was so taken by that conflict and the drama surrounding it i decided to recreate the battles on a table with model figures, then when i experienced the Battlefront series of ACW games on the PC the model soldiers were retired and i became a fully fledged PC wargamer.

When i discovered CMBO i was hooked as i was brought up on WW2 through both comics, TV and books, CM is an amazing game and allows for a huge range of combat situations and theatres and is the perfect tactical simulator for paper campaigns which is another of my likes.

You may have read my posts on the Battlefront Forums regarding my system for using operational PC games in conjunction with CM to allow for operational gameplay.

I've often thought that the highest expression of the CM game was operational combat simply for the fact that playing games with future consequences is that one next step to simulating the situations weve all read about, and consequently it creates a whole different way of playing CM, thats why i was devastated at the demise of CMC, however i though that the nearest thing to CMC would be to use a pre existing game to do the LOS, movement and supply calculations.

Eventually when CMBN was announced that inspired me to have a go at coming up with a way of doing this and when i aquired John Tillers Normandy 44 game i went ahead and set it up.

I am currently running seven man per team operation using a scenario from John Tillers Panzer Campaigns Normandy 44 game as the operational layer and CMBN as the tactical simulator, the operation is full at the moment but if any places become available i will announce it to the members at the time if anyone would be interested.

The operation started at the beginning of June and is now nearing the completion of the first round of CM battles, i had to make a few changes as i became aware of some of the problems that arise when running such a venture but eventually i came up with what i think is a workable system that any aspiring umpire could get to grips with so below is a link to my website showing how to go about it.

https://sites.google.com/site/operationalcombatmission/

If anybody that reads my site has any questions or suggestions i would be happy to hear about them.

As regards TFGM i was very impressed with the layout of the site and the events, the campaign is simple and elegant and is laid out really well with nice clean images and screenshots and i like the sound of the domination game, another excellent use of the CM engine in operational combat.

I look forward to playing some of you at some scenarios which are my favourite form of CM and maybe i will try the domination game at some time.

noob

Be interesting to read about the Normandy 44 as an operational layer for CMBN. What do you believe are its strengths and weaknesses.

The strengths of the John Tiller Normandy 44 operational game are the automatic FOW, LOS, movement and supply functions and the 3D hex map view.

The weaknesses, like all other systems is the need for an umpire.

Have you considered VASSAL?

I have never heard of it, i will do some research on it.

welcome here and jump in anytime you like ...we are a fairly calm group that loves to game and talk.

Hi Andy and welcome on board.

I find your system very interesting. It is alot to read but when I have the time I'll look in to it.
Is this compatible with CMBN?

Cool than I shall have a look at it. Are you planning a campaign here? Or do you host your own campaigns? (players?)

Welcome to the FGM Andy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Looks me up if you ever want a battle.

Ok I have read the rules. I'm is very impressed! So basicly you need a umpire (I guess thats a tourneymeister?) to keep track of all things.
Do you need a special programe or where can you get this system?

Yo Andy! Welcome to our Gentleman's Club, though for some of us, that's stretching the definition just a tad, but it is the good nature of the guys here, that allow them to turn a blind eye to our shortcomings.

Ok I have read the rules. I'm is very impressed! So basicly you need a umpire (I guess thats a tourneymeister?) to keep track of all things.
Do you need a special programe or where can you get this system?

Thanks for the compliment, all you need is a basic paint programme, a spreadsheet and the John Tiller game covering the theatres from the version of CM you are going to use, heres a link to the one i'm using, Normandy 44, but Tiller has done games for pretty much every WW2 theatre.

http://johntillersoftware.com/WesternFrontPanzerCampaigns.html

Back