Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

HM3 David D. Overstreet, US Navy March 23, 1969

Facman

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
HM3 David D. Overstreet, US Navy March 23, 1969

David Overstreet was a native of Abernathy, Texas. His father was a cotton farmer. His mother died when he was young and the family moved to San Angelo, Texas. David took over the task of overseeing his younger siblings. He attended San Angelo schools. David was a 1965 graduate of Abernathy High School, Abernathy, Texas. Abernathy is 35 miles due north of Lubbock, Texas. His family had moved to Eldorado, Texas after he graduated. Eldorado is about 45 miles due south of San Angelo. He attended San Angelo State University in San Angelo as a freshman. He entered the U.S. Navy in 1967 and was trained as a Corpsman. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 4th Marines in Vietnam.

From the 1/4 Marines Operations Log for 23 March 1969:
"231415 - Co "D" at grid XD676579 found 5 graves with 3 markers, proceded to check out area and was taken under fire by 7 NVA. Pulled back and fired 60mm, 81mm, 105, and 106 and had 2 air strikes. Had 3 friendly KIA and 4 friendly WIAs and 3 confirmed NVA and 4 probables."

"231720 - Co "C" at grid XD677575 went to retrieve 1 friendly KIA [from Co "D"] after air strike was run. Taken under fire by enemy sniper, snipers located in bunkers. Commenced search and clear, resulting in 6 enemy bunkers destroyed. KIA retrieved and Co "C" pulled back and called in air. Results 3 friendly WIA minor and 5 enemy KIAs confirmed."

The three men killed in the engagement at 1415 (2:15 PM) were

* HM3 David D. Overstreet, San Angelo, TX;
* LCpl Steve E. Byars, Lorida, FL; and
* Pfc Norman E. Beck, Rockford, IL.

From an eyewitness (me):

[Please note, that once the firefight begins, all recollections of time are subject to the combat warp, that is to say, I really don't know how long the firefight lasted, but my best estimates suggest about an hour though it felt like four]

This was a platoon patrol of our sector of the FB Argonne perimeter. After leaving behind the sick, lame & lazy, we numbered 20-25 men. We were led by the Plt Sgt (SSG) since the Plt CO was wounded when he rolled over the booby-trapped (grenade) body of the 3rd Plt CO, who had died in the initial assault. The grenade didn't kill him, but when we next saw him in the rear, some 6 mos later, he was a changed man to say the least. (we called him 'Gungie' Gates (2nd Lt) & were not sad to see him go, as he was a dufus that was gonna get some of us hurt) I was the RTO for 1st Plt and was in the hip pocket of the Plt Sgt for the duration of the patrol.

The patrol route did not take us very far outside the perimeter, 2-300 meters at most, but was through thickly wooded jungle on the hillside below the FB and visibility was extremely limited. The first half of the patrol went quietly, with the only interruption coming when we stumbled upon some fresh graves. There we found several recently (2-3 days) dead NVA in shallow graves. After quickly checking the bodies for intel, we re-buried them and continued the patrol. We were soon on the back leg of the route home to the FB, when our point (Beck) walked upon a bunker and was shot dead where he stood. The next 3-4 guys behind him were wounded also, with 'Professor' running back towards the HQ, hurdling a waist high fallen tree, crashing on landing, rolling onto his back and scurrying with his hands and legs another couple of feet away from the enemy fire that had gut-shot him. His first words when he stopped scuttling away were, "They got me!". (it was surreal but humorous, even at the time)

In an instant it seemed, we had reacted to the fire and were returning same. Sarge was barking at me to tell Co. what sit-rep was, while directing the fire & dispo of the platoon. Byars set his Pig (M60) up where Sarge told him to and returned fire for but a few minutes into the firefight, before he too was hit. The call went out for "CORPSMAN!" and 'Doc' responded quickly and was there in seconds. While Doc lay on his left side to avoid the withering fire coming from the bunkers (yes, by now we had seen fire coming from a couple more bunkers) I could clearly see him (5-10 meters) in front of me, struggling to turn Byars over to access his wound. Doc's next move, was one that showed total disregard for his own safety and shall for the rest of my days on this earth, live etched in my memory. He bounced up into a flat footed squat and began to flip Byars over, it was the last thing he ever did, for he fell over like a statue, never coming out of the squat, even in death.

Now due to Dept of the Navy regulations for the awarding of medals to our heros, 'Doc' never received official recognition for his courage and bravery, for I was the only witness to see his act of selfless heroism. None the less, he shall live on in the memory, of all I have shared his story with.

~SALUTE~

Re-posted under original author

Facman, this is a very sad story! Even if I can´t agree with the vietnam war I can salute brave men. My condolences for Your losses (even if it comes late) and congratulations for surviving all that crap! And I wish You well for dealing with that terrible memories! RIP - that counts for all the fallen!

Greetings

I was visiting 'Doc' (Dave) on the Virtual Wall today, and found this poem in his remembrances, it is fitting that it appear here at FGM.

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/39006/DAVID-D-OVERSTREET

"I'm the One Called "Doc…"

I shall not walk in your footsteps,
but I will walk by your side.
I shall not walk in your image,
I've earned my own title of pride.
We've answered the call together,
on sea and foreign land.
When the cry for help was given,
I've been there right at hand.
Whether I am on the ocean
or in the jungle wearing greens,
Giving aid to my fellow man,
be it Sailors or Marines.
So the next time you see a corpsman
and you think of calling him "squid",
Think of the job he's doing
as those before him did.
And if you ever have to go out there
and your life is on the block,
Look at the one right next to you…
I'm the one called "Doc".

Harry D. Penny, Jr. HMC(AC)USN
Copyright 1975

"Permission to reprint granted
by the author/copyright owner".
(Permission for both poem & graphic)

When we called our Corpsmen 'Squids', it was always with the utmost respect, which they had surely earned, for they were truly our Brothers in Arms. Unlike the derisive manner in which we addressed all other 'Squids' that crossed our paths.

Doc did literally walk by my side, when I slipped on some rocks in a river we were walking in, and my pack & radio pulled me under water, it was Doc who reached down and hauled me up to my feet again. When I was riddled with shrapnel, it was Doc who patched me up. So yes, this poem is about Doc!

Respect! That is one hell of a story. I hope that one day you and Doc will drink a cold one in peace

Update: The story did not end here, for after 35 years, I finally found his family and was able to tell them of Doc's heroism. So his own family know him for the hero he was.
Mission accomplished...

Last edited:
Update: The story did not end here, for after 35 years, I finally found his family and was able to tell them of Doc's heroism. So his own family know him for the hero he was.
Mission accomplished...

Good to hear. It is nicew to know the true story of your family.

Back