Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

How to sort CM mods

Z

ZlobaPlays

Hey guys i'm gonna buy CMBN and i'm not sure if i want to pay 110 bucks for the big bundle or just 60 to start with the base game. One thing that would help me decide is to see which mods i would like to install and if they need the additional modules. But looking at the CM MOD WAREHOUSE i can only see categories without the ability to filter or sort the mods for example by popularity, number of downloads etc. Is it even possible?

I can't say if you should pay 60 or 110. I guess it depends how much you like the game and what you can afford.
Is there still a demo you can download first?
Just a point - if you do not have the full bundle it may effect the scenarios you can play in tournaments or campaigns.

My 2 favorite mods I use across all the games are JuJu's tweaked UI's and Vin Geometric Icon's.

For CMBN:

Yeah i've played all the demos for WWII titles. I've choosed BN just because the sheer amount of mods available for it. Now i'm wondering if i should buy the big bundle or not. If the base game will last me for a long time and most of the mods actually won't require the additional modules, then i don't see much point of buying stuff that i won't be using for a quite a while. So i started to look around FGM site and it looks like there's no additional filtering option apart from the categories?
Btw. how would i be able to tell if a mod requires some module or not? Does it specificaly state it in the description? More often than not i don't find this information anywhere.

I've never come upon this issue before.
Good question.
I think all the CMBN mods UI/Terrain/Sound work with the CMBN base game.
Probably the only mods specific to certain modules would be vehicle and infantry mods that were introduced in later modules.
Still, if you downloaded a vehicle pack with some vehicles belonging to a newer module I don't believe that would have any effect on the base game.

how would i be able to tell if a mod requires some module or not?
None of the mods require any modules as such. The only mods you get for CM are mods that change the appearance and/or sound of the game. So you install a mod that for example changes the camo pattern on a specific tank. If you don't have the module that gives you that tank, of course you won't see the effect of the mod in the game, but the mod won't screw anything up either.

Good choice with CMBN by the way. I recommend you start with the tutorial, and then instead of going to the main campaign, you can download a user-made campaign called Devils' Descent. It features small battles with paratroopers and a branching storyline - one of the very few campaigns that does that. And it's not a very difficult campaign.

Once you get a feel for that, you can start the campaign Road to Montebourg, which is also really good. Leave the German campaign for later.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, i'm really looking forward to the game and mods.
What about scenarios and campaigns which require additional modules? Will i be able to play them just without the troops that comes with the DLC's or will i be not able to run them at all?

What about scenarios and campaigns which require additional modules? Will i be able to play them just without the troops that comes with the DLC's or will i be not able to run them at all?

You will see them in your list of scenarios and campaigns, but they will be marked with red and you won't be able to play them. Don't worry about it though, as the base game will keep you busy for a long time.

Good choice with CMBN by the way. I recommend you start with the tutorial, and then instead of going to the main campaign, you can download a user-made campaign called Devils' Descent. It features small battles with paratroopers and a branching storyline - one of the very few campaigns that does that. And it's not a very difficult campaign.

Once you get a feel for that, you can start the campaign Road to Montebourg, which is also really good. Leave the German campaign for later.
This. And also, to get the most out of the game, go for PBEM battles. Swallow the pride and learn the craft from humans instead of the AI. I still have to "delearn" a lot of tactics I unknowingly picked up against the AI.

Some examples:
- I'm learning the hard way in a few battles now that tanks that stand still too long are dead tanks (your enemy will devise a plan to kill it in it's current position)
- Also, keep some (mobile) reseves! Against the AI, you can easily get away with bringing most (if not all) of your force to the front, since there are (seldomly) any counter or flanking attacks. Against humans... well, you can almost bet on it, so you might as well factor it in from the start.

Back