Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Important Post About The Future of The FGM

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi Guys

I'm assembling the war council (you guys) to come gather at the FGM round table and discuss the future of the FGM.

The reason we are gathered here is because... well... the club is over 2 decades old. We have all grown older together and become friends and a day without you all would not be the same, its just part of the routine now. We started this club way back when I had hair, no girlfriend, no responsibilities and now I'm an overweight old guy with a wife and a kid and lots of responsibilities. But that's not all that has changed... the gaming world around us has changed. We started this club because of Combat Mission and we will always support Combat Mission but I do think the hardcore CM crowd is slowly drifting away and for us to survive as a club going forward we are going to have to update and diversify. I have no intention of changing the core ethos behind The Few Good Men but we are going to have to adapt to suit the needs of our members.

With that in mind I believe there are a number of steps I/we need to take/make. I'm brain storming here but it will give us a good starter for 10 when I hand the mic over to you guys for input. Bear with me as Im just unleashing some brain funk on y'all.

• CM is still the main game played by the majority of folk here but without a doubt the player pool has been shrinking
  • Other games are becoming popular. Field of Glory, ARMA3, Graviteam Games, War Thunder, World of Tanks.
  • To survive we need to embrace and nurture these other communities by providing for their needs.
  • Running The FGM is a big job... way too big for me and Ithikial to keep on top of. I need a team in place to help.
  • I want to get back to our roots, we are The Few Good Men, a wargaming club as per the new homepage header.
  • I want to be a place for wargamers. Not just CM'ers with a sideliner of a few other titles.
  • We will still embrace the real history behind the games as that is what really creates the experiences we have in game.
So that is just a few points of discussion....

Of the top I need anyone who can to answer a couple of questions to aid me going forward.

What games do you play?
Are you interested in tournaments?
Would you like League Tables?
Regarding the Forum design... do you prefer a dark design, a light design or somewhere in the middle? (I want to have one design the majority use so any updates do not need to be triplicated!!??)
Do you want to volunteer to be part of the FGM staff team.
If you are not yet a patron would you consider becoming one to help us have a stronger platform going forward?

I know without a doubt we are going to go on to bigger and better things but it will only work if we all pull in the same direction... roll up our sleeves and put in the work to put the FGM at the top of the pile in relation to online wargaming clubs.....

Ok... who is up first... (passes the microphone).

Shane

* FoGII is my FGM game. Generally off line I play single player, turn based RPG's. My beer & pretzels go to is World of Tanks.
* I love Rico's tournaments.
* Probably not. Embarrassing to see my bottom dwelling ranking(s). Besides, that sounds too time/resource intensive.
* Absolutely dark design. The brighter shades can be a bit tough on the eyes.
* My health isn't great and I can turn on a pc on, but that's about it. Would love to help but fear I would not be reliable. So, no.
* Will continue to contribute financially. That is one thing I can/will do.
-----
To bring in new members we should probably consider actually recruiting. Although that would be after whatever changes/additions
are made to FGM so we have a good understanding as to what FGM will be selling itself as. It's a fine line between having a large
membership that can easily get o/o control and a one which has quality participants (like now) but on a smaller scale. We take the word
"Few" seriously as quality control is a priority.
-----
Proud to be an almost founding member. Can't imagine booting (see what I did there?) up my pc in the morning w/o FGM as a primary
destination. Thanks for all your hard work over the years.
-----
Do you have pictures of yourself with hair? Just curious. Uh, asking for a friend. :p

Last edited:
1) FOG II player mostly. (BE nice to see FOGII have it own segment, think this would encourage new members.)
2) Enjoy tournament's (Rico's especially)
3) Not bothered about leagues or rankings (Mostly likely to weak a player)
4) I not a patron, but happy to make an annual subscription. (There an idea for you!)

If I can help I happy to do so... but these days my memory and other parts are regrettable beginning to fade.
Like mTk I enjoy looking at the forum before going to bed, and two or three times through out the day...

PS who is this Hair, is he an older person who has dropped out now?

Well done on running this club so successfully for 20 years... may it be around for another 20 years!
Appreciate all your hard work, along with the other members of the crew

Last edited:
I use to play all the CM games and have many games on the go, I think when tournaments are brilliant with the league table running so much more to aim for, @Rico and @Nelson1812 were good scenario developers always enjoyable, with that for me with Stella's dementia which is getting worse as time goes by as much as I would love to join a committee to help run this wonderful club of ours I just haven't got the time, my only time for me is just before bed time which at my age being a carer isn't easy ..... I just have a couple of games running with @Buckykatt which keeps me sane.
Just like to say Bootie you have done and still doing a great Job my friend ..... Thank You

Some quick thoughts this morning.

I've kind of burned out on CM (although am helping @OnePingOnly with his epic Budapest campaign in the map & counter design department) and focusing on FOGII and Medieval here at FGM.

1. I think clearer, more dedicated sections for each of the games on home page and forums -- like you said, FGM has always been CM and the rest ;-) . Set up a proper FOG section, and then we can advertise FGM as a tourney/campaign destination of choice for players who currently frequent the Slitherine forums.
Maybe offer a small league or ongoing series of ongoing small(ish) tourneys or campaigns.

2. Probably good idea to broaden scope of FGM into a more generic wargaming club supporting several games? -- although not lose our identity and become too generic like Blitz.

3. Patreon -- I have let that lapse from my side -- where can I sign up again?

4. Can't really offer much in site admin side -- using all my spare time for campaigns/tourneys. :cool:

I'm also becoming more and more of an "ex-CM player". These days, I mostly play Mius Front, which unfortunately is only single player, so not really anything that involves the community much.

As for CM, the only kind of tournament I might be interested in would be the more narrative driven, less competitive ones, like the Budapest campaign for example.

The goal is still to win, but it's understood that forces are not necessarily set up in any "fair" way, and it's more about doing your best and see what happens rather than to play matches to gain points and rank on a leader board.

I think CM is best as a singleplayer game or in historical scenarios played out by two people who don't only play to win.

For "sports tournament type" matches, the game falls a bit short because of the wonky price structure of many units leading to some cheesy force selections, and because of the way scoring is calculated - if I have just one shell shocked rifleman hiding anywhere on the objective, you don't get any points for it, even if you have a whole fresh platoon there.

- I only play CM-WWII. But that doesn’t mean if there’s another game out there that is interesting I wouldn’t learn it. (But I am an old dog)

- Not even sure what a League Table is. If it’s a ranking table like a ladder then no it’s not for me.

- I’m using the DEFAULT Light setting. I prefer the black text on the grey background. I’m not a fan of Battlefronts forum bright white background style though.

- I very much enjoy the campaigns and tournaments here. Really it’s the only scenarios I play.

- I’m a Patreon already but if you need an occasional boost put out a call or maybe have an annual fund raiser.

- I’m retired now (unlike 20 years ago when I started playing CM and had hair too). I don’t code but if there’s anything I can do to help just send up a flare.

-I play only CM in all its forms (WWII and modern).

-Definitely interested in tourneys.

-League tables are nice and IMO will attract more people to the site. However, keeping them running, unless automated, will need dedicated support from one or more members.

-Not really picky as far as forum design is concerned. I do believe that all over the CM ecosystem (and beyond) , FGM is the best-looking forum.

- I used to be really active at the forum, then real life (family, career, and the like) kicked in, thus the lengthy absence. I would like to support FGM, however, there are limits to what I

can offer.

-Patron thing, bring it forward.

PS; We want Rico back in Combat Mission.

Regarding the Forum design... do you prefer a dark design, a light design or somewhere in the middle? (I want to have one design the majority use so any updates do not need to be triplicated!!??)
I prefer Dark

- I’m retired now (unlike 20 years ago when I started playing CM and had hair too). I don’t code but if there’s anything I can do to help just send up a flare.
@Gunner (& anyone else), would you consider Ribbon Administration? I used to do it. It's not difficult just a bit "putzy" and involves some coordination with tournament/campaign organizers. I used to do it and only gave it up because I'm less dependable about such things than I used to be earlier in my retirement. I know it would make Shane's life easier if someone else was on top of it.

Hi folks, thanks for the replies so far. I have had a few folk asking about supporting the cup by becoming a Patron. Here is the link.

Thanks guys.

Even if you don't like being a patron a Donation from time to time will be good

What games do you play?
Do you want to volunteer to be part of the FGM staff team.
If you are not yet a patron would you consider becoming one to help us have a stronger platform going forward?
Mostly CM in all flavors. For my trigger fix I go with Rainbow six Siege, Hell let loose, Squad, or arma. Throw in some total war games sometimes. Also a little world of warships too.

Love tourneys, cant get enough of them.

By tables I assume ladders. Im not really into this stuff much anymore. Did this on the blitz back in the day and some here.

Much prefer dark forums over light. Just easier on the eyes.

I can chip in with site help or support. I could run @Rico 's WWII CM tourneys if he wants? Would like to finish the siege of bastogne one.

Im long overdue with patron donations, will be sending some green your way soon.

@Badger73
Sure, I can take over the ribbons.
Just let me know the process is.
Contacting and coordinating with the organizers shouldn't be a problem. Neither should keeping a database.
Looking at it I think the trickiest part will be designing the ribbons.
I made a ribbon for one of my tournaments and had to take and tweak an existing medal ribbon (the U.N. medal).

@Badger73
Sure, I can take over the ribbons.
Just let me know the process is.
Contacting and coordinating with the organizers shouldn't be a problem. Neither should keeping a database.
Glad for this!

Looking at it I think the trickiest part will be designing the ribbons.
I made a ribbon for one of my tournaments and had to take and tweak an existing medal ribbon (the U.N. medal).
That's it basically. Grab a picture of ribbons, tweak as needed, and resize them to match existing ribbon sizes. Then assign them to members when earned. Ping @Bootie for access and feedback.

What games do you play?
What are these "other games" you speak of? There is only CM.
Maybe more accurately: my wife only allows me one mistress, and it is CM.

Almost exclusively. I've found running them to be fun, too. I strongly prefer anything with story or context vs. random Quick Battles.

If that's the ranking system, then no, I don't care about that. But then again, I'm not particularly good.

Regarding the Forum design... do you prefer a dark design, a light design or somewhere in the middle?
I prefer dark.

Do you want to volunteer to be part of the FGM staff team?
I would definitely do this. I do travel approx 1 week per month, but otherwise can help with things. A more specific list of tasks and time commitment/frequency would be helpful.

Yes, will do it with the link above. I have no problem paying a little extra for something I enjoy.

I'm happy to help in any way that I can, as I'm on the site pretty much every day.

I usually pop in for a couple of months when BFC releases something. In between not so much.

My biggest peeve about TGM is that there are very few threads per page in the "new posts" pages.

I'm relatively new to the site but I feel at home and have some good online relationships , games and fun here.
I only have CMFI, which limits me as far as tournaments go. I'd consider getting another module or two but it's hard to justify the expense right now.
I love FOG and regularly play campaigns (all by @Rico so far) . I'd like to set up my own this year, let's see if I can get to it this summer.
It'd be nice to contribute financially to the site, I'll look into making a small donation.
Indeed, as @Rico said, set up an FOG section too. It'd be good to attract more players.
I almost exclusively play H2H in both CM and FOG so I'd be lost without you guys.
I do enjoy the photo galleries, humour and all the history stuff too.
Design? I don't really care too much.
Thanks to all of you out there for making this work. There's a really mature healthy attitude here and a strong spirit of gracious gaming, whether winning or losing.

Ps. League tables don't really interest me. I like competition but the campaigns tick that box for me.

Back