Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kampfgruppe DG

D

Dutch Grenadier

The Hurtgen Hell battle vs Ronnoc. Ronnoc asked me for a massive battle. Ofcourse I could not resist this offer.

This is what we agreed:
-3 hour battle (incl DAR)
-January 12th 1945
-light snow
-light snow ground
-Battle of Hurtgen forrest setting
-over 15k points per side
-Ronnoc has his own thread and I have mine for the DAR
-Ronnoc is the attacker

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my armylist:
3rd Panzer Grenadier Div.
Kampfgruppe DG
-HQ (DG)
-HQ support
-Wirblewind
Kompanie HQ
-HQ
-HQ support
-2x Panzergrenadier platoon mounted in halftracks
-1x Panzergrenadier platoon
HQ support
-2x 120mm mortar
-3x PaK75mm

Kompanie Bauer
-HQ
-HQ support
-Flakvierling
-3x Panzergrenadier platoons
-3x MG42 HMG
-2x 81mm mortar

Kompanie Heinz
-HQ
-HQ support
-Flakvierling
-3x MG42 HMG
-2x 81mm mortar

Kompanie Manfred
-HQ
-HQ support
-Flakvierling
-3x MG42 HMG
-2x 81mm mortar

116th Panzer Div.
Kompanie I
-HQ Panther
-2IC Panther
-2x Panther platoon

Jagdtiger support
-2x Jagdtiger

Artillery support
-1x Nebelwerfer42 section
-1x Wespe section
-Forward Observer team

Total: 15400+ points

Fortifications (did not count in the points)
-10 MG42 bunker (concrete)
-5x MG42 bunker (wood)
-trenches and foxholes
-TRP’s
-barbed wire

Here is my general strategy plan:

Further down the map (not visible) I have my HQ units, and a panther platoon waiting. The can go where needed.

Turn 1 has started and I already made contact on Bloody Creek (kompanie Manfred). Also he is hamering Kompanie Bauer and Manfred with rockets suffering minor casualties.

In the centre on the mainroute I made contct with some scout cars.

on to turn 2...

We are in turn 4 atm. Not much to report. He is pounding Kompanie Heinz and Bauer. They are taking some losses. Also he knocked out 2 MG42 bunker. I have no intell regarding his losses.

Let's wait till he gets closer :2charge:

@Dutch Grenadier I was curious as to your placement of the two MG bunkers in your picture above; I assume they were the ones destroyed? Whilst having LOS all the way down the valley, that is a two-pronged sword; they are (were?) therefore exposed to any heavy assets all the way down the valley.

Is there a reason you didn't park them 100m-ish left/right, such that they provided flanking fire on troops coming through the gap, and were also out of direct LOS any any heavy assets moving up the valley?

Not being critical; I'm an FB/WW2 noobie and a CM relative noobie, so wanting to understand more....

I made 2 errors with them:
1: I never used any bunkers so I had high hopes of them
2: I forgot to give them fire arcs closer to them so they were spotted once they started firing.

The other bunkers are, I hope, in beter positions.

I made 2 errors with them:
1: I never used any bunkers so I had high hopes of them
2: I forgot to give them fire arcs closer to them so they were spotted once they started firing.

The other bunkers are, I hope, in beter positions.

It does bug me about CM is how easily trenches and bunkers are spotted.

We are a few minutes in and the artiullery is really hammering my poor troops. Down the valley on the main route he has moved up his recon cars. They were met with AT and MG bunker fire. Knocking out 1 scout car.

This is the view on the 2 knocked out bunkers

Down in Bloody Creek Ronnos is moving up his infantry and armor. A MG pillbox hold them off untill it was detrsoyed by a tank.

I'm going to move my 2 Jagdtigers towards my left flank. They are going to see what is coming up that hill. If nothing is there they will move down the hill to try and flank his forces. I'll move some armoured infantry with them later on.

Nope I learned from that :)
They are Vets and Regular troops

Ronnoc is moving up his infantry on a hill across the vallay. They are met with AT and MG gun fire from my bunkers. Down at Bloody Creek I made loads of sound contact with armour. Also armour sound contact is made up on Bauer hill.

I'm moving up 3 panthers and a platoon of armoured infantry up towards Bloody Creek.

(sorry forgot to take screens) :oops:

I must say that concrete bunkers are really crap! Almost all of them are destroyed without doing any sugnificant damage. But hey... he is still in for one hell of a fight :)
I ordered more fire missions for his advancing infantry around Bloody Creek. Let's see if it will hold it's name :D

I really thought those bunkers would be some of a challange but they were almost all knocked out with 1 or 2 shots...

Back