Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Keyboards

Meat Grinder

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I may have posted a similar thread in the past, hard to remember.

I'm a computer keyboard snob, and I look down my nose on any non mechanical keyboard, which is most keyboards these days. They are mere child's toys, in my opinion. To me, the greatest keyboard ever created, possibly under the direct influence of God himself, is the venerable IBM "Type M". It's just the perfect keyboard. Big, tactile, springs under the keys, a positive "click" when you press a key, there has never been a greater keyboard, and there probably never will be. I have one. A very nice, new, clean one. My wife requested a few years ago that I quit using it because she didn't like the noise it made. I compromised and purchased a Mattias "Quiet Pro". The Mattias keyboard has functioned perfectly since I bought it....until today. Today, the spacebar began to function intermittently. I probably just need to clean it, and I plan to. But in the meantime, I descended into my basement, opened the plastic storage box that contained the holy of holies. Gentlemen, behold:

IBM Type M.jpg

Bask in the beauty of this most wonderous device. Imagine the clicking sounds it is making as I type this, the springs under the keys singing a melody, the clicks punctuating each keypress. It's glorious, I tell you. I feel like I'm back where I belong.

Last edited:
I may have posted a similar thread in the past, hard to remember.

I'm a computer keyboard snob, and I look down my nose on any non mechanical keyboard, which is most keyboards these days. They are mere child's toys, in my opinion. To me, the greatest keyboard ever created, possibly under the direct influence of God himself, is the venerable IBM "Type M". It's just the perfect keyboard. Big, tactile, springs under the keys, a positive "click" when you press a key, there has never been a greater keyboard, and there probably never will be. I have one. A very nice, new, clean one. My wife requested a few years ago that I quit using it because she didn't like the noise it made. I compromised and purchased a Mattias "Quiet Pro". The Mattias keyboard has functioned perfectly since I bought it....until today. Today, the spacebar began to function intermittently. I probably just need to clean it, and I plan to. But in the meantime, I descended into my basement, opened the plastic storage box that contained the holy of holies. Gentlemen, behold:

View attachment 24281

Bask in the beauty of this most wonderous device. Imagine the clicking sounds it is making as I type this, the springs under the keys singing a melody, the clicks punctuating each keypress. It's glorious, I tell you. I feel like I'm back where I belong.
This is close to what I use as well - mine is the "mothership" Model F with 122 keys. However, the config file takes ages to write and test.

Back