Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ladder Matches and role playing based on C2

B

BornGinger

When ladder games are being played, are the actions being made by the players solely based on what he is seeing on the computer screen or is the skirmish being role played so that the actions being made by the players also are based on what the commanding officers know?

Let's say that a player has two tanks under direct command by a company commander and they are standing idle behind some woods in the SE corner of the map. The opponent is sending a tank towards a position on the W side of the map where the player has two platoons.

When the player sees that opponent's tank on the computer screen, what is the course of action? Does he send one, or both, of his tanks to the position in the W, where he has those two platoons, because he knows that it's coming towards those two platoons or does he first have to make the company commander aware about the enemy tank before he can send those his two tanks away?

To make the question shorter; are those engaged in a Ladder Match role playing and acting based on what the pixeltroops know is happening or are they playing and acting based on what they know is happening?

And if some players agree on role playing and some player don't want to role play, is it really fair to have one list of ladder matches? Shouldn't there be two separate lists?

A ladder match is decided between the two players beforehand. They both agree to abide by the same rules, therefore a match where both players 'role play' is just as valid a ladder match as those who are comfortable with 'borg spotting' being a thing, and play accordingly.

For the record, 'role playing' as you put it, does exist but it's very much in the minority of the playerbase.

I was just thinking that if those who don't "roleplay" while playing out a ladder match would do it the result would maybe be different and tney wouldn't be among the top ten winners as it would be a bit more difficult to win the match. While those who regularly "roleplay" maybe would get higher up on the list.

So if there was two lists the ladder lists could be more fair.

But it's of course up to those of you who are active in ladder matches and try to reach the top ten.

The ladder points formula is quite simple, it does not take into account the level of win (Total/Major/Tactical/Minor) or the number of casualties caused, the only information that is fed into the ladder is whether Player A beat Player B, or if it was a draw, and the rank of Player A in respect to Player B. That is all.

I was just thinking that if those who don't "roleplay" while playing out a ladder match would do it the result would maybe be different and tney wouldn't be among the top ten winners as it would be a bit more difficult to win the match. While those who regularly "roleplay" maybe would get higher up on the list.

So if there was two lists the ladder lists could be more fair.

But it's of course up to those of you who are active in ladder matches and try to reach the top ten.
Why would you want to penalize people who play a game like a game?

It isn't a question of penalising but to make it more of a challenge so they can feel that they managed to keep a good C2 and win.

Here's the thing. If you're going to 'roleplay' as you put it, you're not going to agree to a ladder match with someone who is going to 'borg spot', or if you do, well - you just hamstrung yourself and that's on you for agreeing to make it a ladder game in the first place.

So, you play against someone else who agrees to the same rules as you, in which case the game is fair for both. Like I said earlier, people who play by more hardcore 'realistic' C2 rules do exist, and I think they're more common over on the Battlefront forums, but they're not particularly common.

@Bil Hardenberger I think is one of those guys, or at least associates with those who do, so if you're looking for opponents of a similar mindset maybe get in touch with him?

Here's the thing. If you're going to 'roleplay' as you put it... so if you're looking for opponents of a similar mindset
No need to get upset. I'm not into ladder matches but was just making an opinion on how to make the list of winners from ladder matches a bit different.

No need to get upset. I'm not into ladder matches but was just making an opinion on how to make the list of winners from ladder matches a bit different.

Oh don't misunderstand, I'm not upset. :)

I'm just expressing that the ladder formula doesn't care what rules a ladder game is played under, those are entirely up to the participants to agree upon.
A ladder game by those operating under 'realistic' C2 rules has exactly the same validity as a ladder game operating under more common 'borg spotting' rules.

As a case in point, I operate under a particular set of rules whereby both players use 'typical' quality for the majority of their forces, as I believe this makes for a more 'realistic' combination of men (you have some green, some regular, some veteran) and you have to manage them as best you can to beat your opponent. For this reason, I won't agree to a ladder match with someone who wants to have a force of uniform Veteran +1/+1 troops, or worse still, Elite/Fanatic +2/+2 Ubermensch, as I would be at a severe disadvantage.
(For those of you who are about to protest that higher quality troops have a higher price, that is true, however not high enough to offset their qualitative advantage - trust me, I've seen it in action).

Therefore, anyone who plays me in a ladder game plays by the same rules as I do. Ergo, the game is fair, and counts as a ladder game the same as others who want uniform troops.

I make no judgements about those who play the game differently than I do, each to his own and all that. :cool:(y)

Back