Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Light and Medium on Map Mortars

I believe cannon artillery is also affected by wind, but that (especially) larger calibres are affected less than mortars.

probably wouldnt be a popular decision on here but i think mortar numbers should be restricted in all the campaigns/battles fought on here. They are just too much of a battle changer and seems no matter how tactical or stealthy you try to be, a handful of speculative or aimed mortar rounds can dish out serious casualties in no time. They deliver very accurate and deadly fire for their cost and its just encouraging all players to pick more and more of them.
Maybe a pre-tested tiered restriction on them depending on force mission/size would work better. I must confess i have a real grudge against cherry picked QB forces and its the main reason i have steered clear of QB's for 15yrs or so since CM1, but thats just my personal take on it. I like BB's rarity and force choice restrictions, they work well.

probably wouldnt be a popular decision on here but i think mortar numbers should be restricted in all the campaigns/battles fought on here. They are just too much of a battle changer and seems no matter how tactical or stealthy you try to be, a handful of speculative or aimed mortar rounds can dish out serious casualties in no time. They deliver very accurate and deadly fire for their cost and its just encouraging all players to pick more and more of them.
Maybe a pre-tested tiered restriction on them depending on force mission/size would work better. I must confess i have a real grudge against cherry picked QB forces and its the main reason i have steered clear of QB's for 15yrs or so since CM1, but thats just my personal take on it. I like BB's rarity and force choice restrictions, they work well.

Your picks don't have to be all that cherry to end up with many mortars. A US battalion in WW2 has 2x 60mm per company and 2x 81mm for the battalion. That is without every visiting the "individual teams" menu.

i guess that US mortar superiority might get negated a little by the terrain in say the Normandy or Ardennes area of operation where LOS is marginal, but expect still accounted for vast majority of enemy casualties on a daily basis, in the same way German mortars did the other way.
I wonder what the density of mortars might be on the Eastern front with such vast frontages and stretched supplies, and how that equates in your typical CMRT tactical skirmish.

I think it's sure a wise thing to discuss the kind of battle one likes to play before starting the game. If one side is trying to play a sort of authentic experience with a balanced OOB, against a mortar / aircraft spam with some conscript drivers acting as speedbumps than that won't be a great game indeed.

Having said that I don't really agree that they are that overpowered; they are lethal but imo they should be lethal as well.

Also, one thing direct fire mortars aren't great against is a mechanized force. Infantry in halftracks are well protected against mortar fire, bring some tanks / assault guns to punish the mortars with direct return fire. Or counterfire m with your own on map mortars.

Your picks don't have to be all that cherry to end up with many mortars. A US battalion in WW2 has 2x 60mm per company and 2x 81mm for the battalion. That is without every visiting the "individual teams" menu.
Agreed. In my recent CMRT battle, I just used the 6 x 82mm mortars that came with the SMG Battalion - no individual mortar teams added.

I think it's sure a wise thing to discuss the kind of battle one likes to play before starting the game.
Also agreed. If I had known what my recent opponent was after, I probably would have adjusted just to avoid a NPE.

Perhaps one solution would be to limit Battalion-level mortars to off-map only. I think the Soviets ONLY have Battalion-level mortars, so this hurts them. But as I understand it, the Soviets didn't really use mortars individually for direct fire purposes - they tended to mass fire using central control. https://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ontheway/index.html
Again, having house rules for a scenario that reflects the type of experience you want is key.

Related discussion, focused on ETA of artillery calls:

@Nemesis are you around? What do you think?

Calling artillery is incredibly variable. Some random thoughts:

Many times you have to go through an intermediary and it takes longer.

Danger close artillery is also used more cautiously and the artillerymen triple check how they lay their guns.

Artillery onto pre-registered TRPs is really fast. Very few calculations are required.

Sometimes you have experienced and good FOs who can get a very accurate 8 digit target grid figured out quickly. Other times you might be dealing with a Private who takes 20 minutes and then gives you a target grid that is not even on the map.

I would guess that CM considers all of these factors (and probably many more) takes a rough average, so in game it may be a bit slower than it could be in real life. But then again......you avoid the situation where the call for artillery has to go through 2 or more intermediaries.

Back