Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Longstreet and what he did with Special Order 191 during the American Civil War.

The Battle of Antietam was the bloodiest day in American history, with a combined tally of 22,717 dead, wounded, or missing.
The battlefield itself is a National Battlefield and comes under the U.S. National Park Service.
It is extremely well preserved and looks very much like it did in 1862.

The Union called the battle Antietam after the creek that ran through part the of the battlefield, the Confederacy the name of the battle was “Sharpsburg”.
The Union forces frequently named battles for bodies of water or other natural features that were prominent on or near the battlefield, but Confederates most often used the name of the nearest town or artificial landmark.

I have lived pretty close to the Battlefield for most of my life. It's a great place to visit and walk and they still grow corn in THE cornfield.
I had the opportunity to discover an overgrown Confederate rifle pit on the bluff overlooking Burnside's Bridge many years ago and had to jump in not even thinking what might be at the bottom of it!

Yes it is. Stand along the deepest part of it and a completely clear line of sight to the high ground the Union advanced over just about 80 yards away. Makes you really understand how difficult it was taking the position.

The Battlefield is very well preserved unlike Gettysburg where town creep has obscured part of the first day's fighting. The west woods isn't there anymore but that is about the only major change to the terrain I have found

Back