Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

M1 Carbine (Semi-automatic carbine)

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The M1 carbine (formally the United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1) is a lightweight, easy to use semi-automatic carbine that became a standard firearm for the U.S. military during World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, and was produced in several variants. It was widely used by U.S. and foreign military, paramilitary and police forces, and has also been a popular civilian firearm.

03.jpg

In selective fire versions capable of fully automatic fire, the carbine is designated the M2 carbine. The M3 carbine was an M2 with an active infrared scope system. Unlike conventional carbines, which are generally a version of a parent rifle with a shorter barrel (like the earlier .30-40 U.S. Krag rifle and carbine and the later M16A2 rifle and M4 carbine), the M1 carbine has only one part in common with the M1 rifle (a short buttplate screw) and fires a different cartridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

Last edited by a moderator:
Me firing an M2...

Forgive my poor handling skills, I'm from the UK. Plus it could have done with a bit of lubrication....

That was a good weekend!

Also found a fantastic chap that has a load of historic guns, he does a program called 'Shooting through history'. Starts with flintlocks and works up to modern stuff. Explains the differences, history, how they evolved and advance plus plenty of anecdotes. I've a load more vidoes I've yet to upload. In fact it was so much fun I had to go see him twice....

If anyone is ever in Vegas I'd thoroughly recommend spending a morning/afternoon with this guy.

http://www.shootingsafaris.com/history.htm

I'm one of those fortunate individuals that owns an M1 Carbine made by the Underwood Company in April of 1944. It was my Grandfathers, (actually my stepfathers dad), service rifle during WWII. He came from a German speaking family in Brooklyn, NY and was drafted into US Army Intelligence as an interpreter. He landed in Normandy on D+2 and went all the way to Berlin.

I have everything original, to include the original manual, except a bayonet. Apparently the bayonet lug first started to appear in early 1944. I still fire it 2-3 times a year. Fantastic weapon.

I'm one of those fortunate individuals that owns an M1 Carbine made by the Underwood Company in April of 1944. It was my Grandfathers, (actually my stepfathers dad), service rifle during WWII. He came from a German speaking family in Brooklyn, NY and was drafted into US Army Intelligence as an interpreter. He landed in Normandy on D+2 and went all the way to Berlin.

I have everything original, to include the original manual, except a bayonet. Apparently the bayonet lug first started to appear in early 1944. I still fire it 2-3 times a year. Fantastic weapon.

An image, please. -
To we delight - ;)

Louis, it would be an honor to post a picture of it. I'll do so tomorrow.

I once owned a slight variant of this version. My stock would slide forward along both sides of the body of the rifle, and maintained full functionality with stock in either position. While not as powerful and accurate as my M16s, it's size and rate of fire made it a worthwhile home defense weapon.
Facman, I might be wrong, but I believe the variant you refer to was made for tankers and such. I know, during WWII especially, the Army was playing with trying to give tankers something with more range than the M3, but not as cumbersome as the M1 Garand, in the event they had to dismount. If it's the variant I'm thinking of, it should be slightly shorter than an M1928A1 Thompson.

I gave it to one of my brothers many years ago. When I last asked him about it, he said something about it being buried in a desert in the South Western USA.

20131229_064011.jpgAs you can barely make out, the barrel is stamped "UNDERWOOD" followed by 4-44 and the ordnance "bomb" stamp. 20131229_064213.jpg
I think the breech stamp is pretty legible.
20131229_063808-1.jpg
Here she is, in all her glory. Although I somehow managed to crop out the magazine. Oh well. I also believe a correction is in order. I mentioned the rifle was all original, but I believe I'm wrong. The rear site is a graduated, (in yards), ramp style as opposed to the "flip" rear aperture style. I don't think this type site was introduced until the Korean War. Hopefully someone can shed some light on that. I know my Grandfather was a firearms collector, marksmanship instructor, and gunsmith, so I'm assuming he added the sight himself. Yes, that's the original sling and oiler. Both in excellent condition, I might add. The only thing I've done, (besides fire and maintain it), is remove the oil that was in the oiler and keep it lightly lubricated to prevent dry rot.
20131229_063825.jpg

And lastly, the manual, or "Technical Bulletin" as they were called then.

Yeah it's always been an interesting gun in my book. (Though never held or fired one). On paper seems like a good idea but in real life didn't turn out that way.

Gun grogs - Was there a rate of decline in its use by frontline troops as the war progressed?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Using his M1 carbine as a support to his pocket mirror, 1944.
xpyH2JC.jpg

The M1 Carbine is a terrific little shooter. Shockingly light weight (lighter than an AR-15) and low recoil. Uses the same robust action as the bigger M1 Garand.

Not sure I would want one for real combat. It fires an "intermediate rifle round" and its range and power are limited.

Back