Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Man, do I HATE playing in "Iron" mode

I feel the same about Iron! Additional torture for little gain. There are a few differences though but I cannot remember them :) .

Just a quick note you can follow a unit and still see the rest of your force - even on Iron. Click on a unit, hit <tab> you are not view locked and will follow that unit with all the sadness that Iron brings. Now click away from the unit (just once, not on some other unit), you are now following the unit but no unit is selected and you can see the rest of your force. Now you can use the 'q' or 'e' keys or the left and right arrow to look around and keep the follow lock.

To me, it does seem like "iron" is a work in progress that was never finished. It's like they wanted to do a mode where units could mistake each other for enemies and do friendly fire, then at the last moment they got scared and reoved the feature, leaving us with a mode where we have to click extra clicks for no real good reason.

I do play iron mode though, but that's only because it makes it easier to figure out visibility. Also it makes it harder to keep C2 links, which I find more challenging.

I will only play it if its requested specifically.
Its too annoying and doesn't add anything to the immersion IMHO
Yep totally agree, its pretty annoying! So no worries for are future Probes tourney battle, Im all for Elite.

Bottom line is this, about 95% of the time the info Iron mode gives (LOS to friendlies) is simply just not needed. So the few times I need to check a units LOS to one another or to confirm C2. The lines coming from the Commander works fine along with the LOS/audible icons in unit info.

Yep totally agree, its pretty annoying! So no worries for are future Probes tourney battle, Im all for Elite.

Bottom line is this, about 95% of the time the info Iron mode gives (LOS to friendlies) is simply just not needed. So the few times I need to check a units LOS to one another or to confirm C2. The lines coming from the Commander works fine along with the LOS/audible icons in unit info.

Actually — CMFI RtV mini campaign in the works — RL and work would just give me a break. :(

I don't remember who, but I get games once in awhile from other players in Iron mode.

I think to myself, what the heck do they see in it, it adds nothing to the game as far as I am concerned.

It impacts my play in no way other than makes me work harder at getting the info I want.

I find this thread interesting as I play nothing but Iron. The friendly unit's "disappearing" is nothing more than a visual representation of your friendly FOW as seen from the selected unit's point of view and I find that kind of information invaluable.

My big beef with this mode is the fact that all enemy leg unit floating icons are generic infantry, even when the unit type had been positively identified.. for example an enemy LMG or AT Team always shows as infantry. THAT I find annoying as I then have to plot those unit's locations on a SITMAP and tracking them becomes harder than it should be.

If you want C2 to work most accurately you need to play on Iron, but I concede its is not for everyone. That's the great thing about this game, it can be approached from many different perspectives.

Bil

What is that expression some people sometimes use? Haters gonna hate, I think it is. And it fits so well to people's view on Iron Mode in this thread.

What is that expression some people sometimes use? Haters gonna hate, I think it is. And it fits so well to people's view on Iron Mode in this thread.

It's easy to dismiss critiscism as being "hate". I play Iron, myself, but I think the critiscism in this thread is quite valid. As the top realism setting, Iron could do a whole lot more than it does currently.

For example:
  • Introduce a small risk of friendly fire for units not aware of each other's location
  • Limit information sharing to units in close visual range (being able to shout info)
  • Need tanks to be unbuttoned to get spotting info from nearby infantry (yes I know some Shermans had telephones)
  • Limit or restrict the player from using area fire against locations without enemy contact markers
  • Lower reload, speed and turning speed for AT guns with missing crew members

Those are just some off the top of my head.

From the CM manual:

Warrior is similar to the Veteran setting but introduces more realistic time delays for a number of tasks and events. Hardcore players will favor this setting. The following special rules apply:
- Enemies appear as generic “Enemy contacts” until they are positively identified by your forces on the battlefield
- Treating wounded soldiers takes a realistic amount of time
- Artillery and air support take a realistic amount of time to arrive
- Supplies from Ammo Dumps are automatically distributed among troops.

Elite is identical to Warrior with only one difference:
- Enemy infantry icons are always the plain “soldier” type, regardless of their armament or function

Iron is an optional setting that goes even one step further than Elite, and introduces special restrictions on what the player can do and when. While even more realistic than the other settings, this option introduces a number of interface limitations which might put off the casual player, so it is strictly an optional choice.
- Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units. If you have a friendly unit not in line of sight or in contact with another friendly unit, then the only way to find this unit is by either re-establishing contact with another friendly unit or by clicking through the chain of command in the game interface, jumping from unit to unit.

From the CM manual:

Iron is an optional setting that goes even one step further than Elite, and introduces special restrictions on what the player can do and when. While even more realistic than the other settings, this option introduces a number of interface limitations which might put off the casual player, so it is strictly an optional choice.
- Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units. If you have a friendly unit not in line of sight or in contact with another friendly unit, then the only way to find this unit is by either re-establishing contact with another friendly unit or by clicking through the chain of command in the game interface, jumping from unit to unit.

Problem is: Friendly units do not "need" to be spotted. The game keeps track of which friendly unit spots which friendly unit, but it uses this additional info for nothing at all. No boost to morale from having friendlies close by, no friendly fire, etc.

And the manual is wrong. Units don't get lost if they are outside the chain of command. If that is what they were aiming for, then Iron is one big bug. You just click one additional time to unselect your current unit, and all your units become visible.

"There is no Place like 'Iron', there is no Place like 'Iron'...Sorry guys, but 'Iron' Mode is the only way to go'.

Now, if BF can finally introduce a 'Super Iron' Mode..:sneaky:

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
There is actually a situation that can lead to blue on Blue fire in iron only:
If a tank has spotted an enemy unit but not a friendly unit in the line of fire it will fire and the other friendly unit can get hit.

You mean if friendly infantry is close to the enemy target? Will tanks hold fire in that case?

Back