Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle (Tactical fighter aircraft)

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) F-15 Eagle is a twin-engine, all-weather tactical fighter designed by McDonnell Douglas to gain and maintain air superiority in aerial combat. It is considered among the most successful modern fighters with over 100 aerial combat victories with no losses in dogfights. Following reviews of proposals, the United States Air Force selected McDonnell Douglas' design in 1967 to meet the service's need for a dedicated air superiority fighter. The Eagle first flew in July 1972, and entered service in 1976. The F-15 is expected to be in service with the U.S. Air Force past 2025.

L77b9IV.jpg

Since the 1970s, the Eagle has also been exported to Israel, Japan, and Saudi Arabia. Despite originally being envisioned as a pure air superiority aircraft, the design proved flexible enough that an all-weather strike derivative, the F-15E Strike Eagle, was later developed, and entered service in 1989.

gXkpkkl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The F15 was the first fighter aircraft to be able to accelerate straight up.

I first saw this jet in 1978 when I was stationed at Norton AFB in SoCal.
It was the annual Armed Forces Day (or some such thing) where they bring in all sorts of aircraft and such.
The F15 was there parked next to a B25 which, to my surprise, looked to be about the same size.

An F15 started down the runway and at some point the landing gear came up and flying parallel to the runway and then it just went straight up like in the video until it was just a spec in the sky. Jaw dropping amazing.
I was familiar with F4's at the time and they would never be able to do that.

Back