Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

I

iron mike usmc

F-4 Phantom II

An F-4B Phantom II of Marine fighter-attack squadron VMFA-314, the Black Knights

Role: Interceptor fighter, fighter-bomber
National origin: United States
Manufacturer: McDonnell Aircraft / McDonnell Douglas
First flight: 27 May 1958
Introduction: 30 December 1960
Primary users: United States Air Force, United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, Republic of Korea Air Force
Produced: 1958-1981
Number built: 5,195
Unit cost: New build F-4E in FY 1965: US$2.4 million

The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II[N 1] is a tandem (two-seat), twin-engined, all-weather, long-range supersonic jet interceptor fighter/fighter-bomber originally developed for the United States Navy by McDonnell Aircraft. It first entered service in 1960 with the U.S. Navy. Proving highly adaptable, it was also adopted by the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Air Force, and by the mid-1960s had become a major part of their respective air wings.

The Phantom is a large fighter with a top speed of over Mach 2.2. It can carry over 18,000 pounds (8,400 kg) of weapons on nine external hardpoints, including air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, and various bombs. The F-4, like other interceptors of its time, was designed without an internal cannon, but later models incorporated a M61 Vulcan rotary cannon. Beginning in 1959, it set 15 world records, including an absolute speed record, and an absolute altitude record.

The F-4 was used extensively during the Vietnam War, serving as the principal air superiority fighter for both the Navy and Air Force, as well as being important in the ground-attack and reconnaissance roles by the close of U.S. involvement in the war. The Phantom has the distinction of being the last U.S. fighter flown to attain ace status in the 20th century. During the Vietnam War, the USAF had one pilot and two weapon systems officers (WSOs), and the US Navy one pilot and one radar intercept officer (RIO), achieve five aerial kills against other enemy fighter aircraft and become aces in air-to-air combat. The F-4 continued to form a major part of U.S. military air power throughout the 1970s and 1980s, being gradually replaced by more modern aircraft such as the F-15 Eagle and F-16 in the U.S. Air Force; the Grumman F-14 Tomcat and F/A-18 Hornet in the U.S. Navy; and the F/A-18 in the U.S. Marine Corps.

resizeimage_manager.php?D=1000&FILENAME=1175449531_LW-12_F-4J_WT.jpg
I was a Phantom Phixer from 1976 to 1980. Loved my job, loved this aircraft. Served with VMFA-232 from 1977-1980.

I have a warm spot in my soul for the F-4. As Forward Air Controller for an Infantry Company in Vietnam, to hear that we had a F4s on call, always boosted our morale, because we knew what they would be packing. Easily half of my Close Air Support came in the form of F4s, since all our supporting services flew it.

3_89.jpg

What is a Phantom Pixer?

You served in 'Nam to Mike?

I just missed Vietnam. The last troops were evacuated in April 1975. I graduated high school in May 1975, enlisted in the Marines in August 1975, and went to Parris Island for Boot Camp in January 1976. Was trained as an Aircraft Electrician.

Career ender

Story behind video according to a pilot website I frequent, is that 3 pilots for the Reno Air Guard decided to do a little show for a few select friends who video taped back in the 90's.Someone broke the circle of trust and all hell broke loose.
They were shuffled out of the service and a congressional investigation followed. Tape just made public last year.

[video=youtube;YmXvQqEcJZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmXvQqEcJZ8[/video]

RT, thanks for sharing. I do so MISS working on them.

And here's a vid of some F4s really 'getting some'!

Yeah, I know it's a propaganda piece, but has some nice shots of Phantoms at work.

Propoganda piece from the U.S.??? No, say it ain't so, we would never do that, we only speak the facts jack. Thanks for sharing.

Back