FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
montarakid@yahoo.com
Just downloaded it to my Kindle so no review yet. Just wanted to get the topic up.
This is kind of a big step for me. The last major book I read about the ACW was "From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War in America" by James Longstreet.
I am an unabashed fanboy of the Army of Northern Virginia and Longstreet in particular. My very first war game was AH's original "Gettysburg" in which I refused to play the Union. :p
So, to pick up a 934 page book written by Grant is a little out of character. I admit it was fueled by the recent Grant TV series. It seems time that I could/should set aside my ANV prejudice
as it is likely Grant has some very interesting things to say about the ACW that I may not have previously considered. Frankly, I'm just feeling a little guilty about never having gotten around
to reading this before now. If Grant could write this huge book while suffering and in great pain from cancer, then maybe I can take the time to read what he had to say.
The book made approx a half million dollars for his then destitute family. Now it's $500,003.

Last edited:

Abbasid111

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
robacummings@hotmail.com
Enjoy!
It's a good read and the backstory on his writing it makes it even more compelling.
I have pretty much read thru most ACW memoirs back and if you ever get tired of the 'pretty purple prose ' as a friend of mine used to say i recomend Jubal Early's memoir

Reactions: mTk

HOA_KSOP

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ksbeargames59@gmail.com
Just downloaded it to my Kindle so no review yet. Just wanted to get the topic up.
This is kind of a big step for me. The last major book I read about the ACW was "From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War in America" by James Longstreet.
I am an unabashed fanboy of the Army of Northern Virginia and Longstreet in particular. My very first war game was AH's original "Gettysburg" in which I refused to play the Union. :p
So, to pick up a 934 page book written by Grant is a little out of character. I admit it was fueled by the recent Grant TV series. It seems time that I could/should set aside my ANV prejudice
as it is likely Grant has some very interesting things to say about the ACW that I may not have previously considered. Frankly, I'm just feeling a little guilty about never having gotten around
to reading this before now. If Grant could write this huge book while suffering and in great pain from cancer, then maybe I can take the time to read what he had to say.
The book made approx a half million dollars for his then destitute family. Now it's $500,003.

Wow, what a coincidence, I just picked a copy of this at an estate sale for a buck or two just last Saturday, as well as "Stonewall" and "B.G.T. Beauregard: Napolean in Gray". The thing about Grant's book is that he was dying of cancer when he was writing it and through sheer force of will managed to complete it a day or two before he died.

HOA_KSOP

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ksbeargames59@gmail.com
Yes, I agree. I read a Grant biography last year and at that time I decided I’d like to read his memoirs. A very interesting man.

mTk

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
montarakid@yahoo.com
Well, I gave it a try. And I may work at it some more. However, 1885 English may be too much for me.
There is no flow to the reading as I have to stop every sentence or two and reread it to try to figure out what he is saying.
At first I thought some of the wording was Grant just being humorous. In a short while I realized I was wrong. It was just
regular wording use of the day. For example: "Soon after I became 16 years antique.." WTF? The the same wording appears
a short time later and I then understand he is just saying "Soon after I became 16 years old..." This happens constantly and became
very distracting, not to mention making it a very slow read. I got through his early life up to his West Point graduation and then
picked up another Marcus Didius Falco novel to relieve the pain.
Some of the problem was repetition I suppose. I just got finished watching Grant on TV so there was little in his early life to entertain me.
I'm hoping if I flip some pages and get to the war my interest level will increase enough for me to plow on through. Maybe not.

Last edited: