Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Messerschmitt Me 264 (Long-range strategic bomber)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
As Europe plunged into WWII, Hitler ordered the development of a hi-tech secret weapon capable of taking the war across the Atlantic - the Messerschmitt Me 264. Chosen from designs for an 'Amerika Bomber' tendered by Messerschmitt, Junkers and Focke-Wulf, this ultra-long-range aircraft would be capable of attacking cities in the United States. Just one month before the attack on Pearl Harbor and the American entry into WW II Hitler was promising, privately, to wage a 'new war' against the USA after his victories in Europe.

mrPNx8C.jpg

The concept was raised as early as 1938, but advanced, cogent plans for such a long-range strategic bomber design did not begin to appear in Hermann Goering’s offices until the spring of 1942. The strategic bomber would be capable of attacking NY City from bases in France or the Azores.

NvsP4KO.jpg

The first ME 264 prototype flew in Dec 1942, but soon allied pressure forced Messerschmitt to slow development. The Me 264 V1 had a very “clean”, all-metal fuselage with a circular cross-section throughout.

Just behind the extensively glazed nose and the cockpit was a galley, crew rest area, and walkway to the rear of the plane above the lower, enclosed bomb bay. The wings were shoulder-mounted, slightly swept back, and tapered.

ZD3se1B.jpg

They contained a single main spar and one auxiliary spar, with the wing loads being transferred through the main spar and two auxiliary bulkheads into the fuselage. The entire fuel supply was stored in the large wings.

In total 3 prototypes were built. This first prototype was not fitted with weapons or armor, but of the following two prototypes, the Me 264 V2 had armor for the engines, crew, and gun positions.

cr2ynfV.jpg

Late in 1943, the second prototype, Me 264 V2, was destroyed in a bombing attack. On 18 July 1944, the first prototype, which had entered service with Transportstaffel 5, was damaged during an Allied bombing raid and was not repaired. The third prototype, which had not been fully completed, was destroyed during the same raid.

Some specifications:
Cruise speed: 217 mph (350 km/h), Service ceiling: 26,000 ft (8,000 m), Range: 9,500 mi (15,000 km), 3,000 kg (6,614 lb) bombload in internal bomb bay, Max takeoff weight: 123,000 lb (56,000 kg).​

“The strategic bomber would be capable of attacking NY City from bases in France or the Azores.”

When I was in the Air Force I was stationed in the Azores.
Nearly smack dab in the middle of the Atlantic it was mainly used as a refueling base for planes going from Europe to the U.S.

Back