Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Military Newsw From Around the World - 2021-12-2

This Ukraine situation is getting a bit scary. :unsure:
@mTk Here is another take on these developments should you be interested...

Cheers!

Reactions: mTk
Ive read that Ukraine suspect a coup will happen. Then they should arrest those they think are culpable, not announce it to the world.
I dont believe what is spouted by Ukraine here. Its all about internal power struggles between the oligarchs in Ukraine. Its a dirty game. Too much corruption going on in that country for me to believe them.

IMO its all an elaborate smokescreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realist know that not everything is possible.
It would be a great geopolitic success to get the Ukraine into NATO and the EU, but it is impossible without a war. Russian Federation would never allow this to happen. They would immediately attack Ukraine. Everyone knows this. Therefore a realistic politic would be to accept that Ukraine is part of the Russian influence sphere and to stop immediately any attempts to arm them, or to deploy NATO troops inside Ukraine. Also it should be made clear that Ukraine can never join NATO or the EU, as the USA would never allow without a war Canada or Mexico to become a military ally to Russia or China.
Great powers have red lines and sphere of influence. Realists accept that.
If not we are heading to the biggest disaster for the west since decades. Russia would conquer Ukraine in a very short time and highly likely annex at least great parts or all of Ukraine.
To avoid that we should know under what circumstances Russsia would attack:
1. an Ukrainian attack in the Donbass against the seperatist republics.
or
2. NATO troops enter Ukraine
or
3. Ukraine is going to join EU or NATO

Due to strategic mistakes made by the West Russia is now like an ally to China.
This has been in my opinion the biggest and total avoidable geopolitical mistake in the last 50 years.
China and Russia combined are mightier than the Soviet Union. The aggressive politic against Russia has made this happen. Big mistake!
The biggest rival of the USA will be China for the next decades, a country which gets stronger every day. Just look at their industrial capacities. They can for example build high amounts of high end warships in a unbelievable short time.

True. It is mind boggling to see such geopolitical blunders by NATO on all fronts atm.

Realist know that not everything is possible.
It would be a great geopolitic success to get the Ukraine into NATO and the EU, but it is impossible without a war. Russian Federation would never allow this to happen. They would immediately attack Ukraine. Everyone knows this. Therefore a realistic politic would be to accept that Ukraine is part of the Russian influence sphere and to stop immediately any attempts to arm them, or to deploy NATO troops inside Ukraine. Also it should be made clear that Ukraine can never join NATO or the EU, as the USA would never allow without a war Canada or Mexico to become a military ally to Russia or China.
Great powers have red lines and sphere of influence. Realists accept that.
If not we are heading to the biggest disaster for the west since decades. Russia would conquer Ukraine in a very short time and highly likely annex at least great parts or all of Ukraine.
To avoid that we should know under what circumstances Russsia would attack:
1. an Ukrainian attack in the Donbass against the seperatist republics.
or
2. NATO troops enter Ukraine
or
3. Ukraine is going to join EU or NATO

Due to strategic mistakes made by the West Russia is now like an ally to China.
This has been in my opinion the biggest and total avoidable geopolitical mistake in the last 50 years.
China and Russia combined are mightier than the Soviet Union. The aggressive politic against Russia has made this happen. Big mistake!
The biggest rival of the USA will be China for the next decades, a country which gets stronger every day. Just look at their industrial capacities. They can for example build high amounts of high end warships in a unbelievable short t

True. It is mind boggling to see such geopolitical blunders by NATO on all fronts atm.
@ Olaf Agreed you are right on. Image Russia installing missiles in Cuba... ooops... been there done that...

However, that aside, being a cynic my problem is I always immediately ask myself, 'Who stands to profit from this'?

By which I mean, was it a all really a 'blunder' so much, as instead perhaps just plain old neo liberalism geopolitical greed at play. Would not the oligarchically mercantile and MIC classes not prefer to continue to 'deal' with the CCP and their billion persons market for their manufacturing and investment opportunities, while perpetually keeping Russia in front of the public consciousness and always synonymous with the evil boogey man that is inevitably always threatening Western interests wherever it is convenient to justify throwing more money at the MIC for our "Defense".

Shortsighted... sure... but when the almighty metric is quarterly...hey what are you gonna do. Perhaps what I'm suggesting is more appropriately summed up in this quote that has been attributed to Lenin

“They [capitalists] will furnish credits which will serve us for the support of the Communist Party in their countries and, by supplying us materials and technical equipment which we lack, will restore our military industry necessary for our future attacks against our suppliers. To put it in other words, they will work on the preparation of their own suicide."

Last edited:
Yes indeed. This is a case of the old perpetual war for the MIC.

For those who have studied Putin, seen a bunch of his interviews and TV presentations you should be able to tell that this man has no intention of invading Ukraine proper. Even NATO understands this although they claim otherwise to the media.

What was done in Crimea is also obvious once you personally talk to a few crimeans and understand the history of the area.

The referendum was real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many in the West are not understanding that Putin has a moderate foreign policy compared to the Russian political establishment. If he retires it will get more difficult for the west and not less.
Take for example the HMS Defender incident. He had to use all his power to avoid that this ship got sunk and he took harsh criticism in Russia why he did not allow the military to sink it.

Many in the West are not understanding that Putin has a moderate foreign policy compared to the Russian political establishment. If he retires it will get more difficult for the west and not less.
Take for example the HMS Defender incident. He had to use all his power to avoid that this ship got sunk and he took harsh criticism in Russia why he did not allow the military to sink it.
Ive said this for a long time. The west and the world itself BENEFITS from having a man like Putin in power. He has sober visions of the future.

His recent speech at the Valdaiclub highlights this:

@ olaf, thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

While I am inherently conditioned to disbelieve anything emanating from the mouths of our leaders irrespective of their native country or political leanings, Putin being no exception. I will concede that it was at least refreshing to hear one speak with such depth, historical appreciation and nuance in this forum, and without the excessive posturing or bellicose rhetoric that to often accompanies the sound bite geopolitical pronouncements here in the West.

It leaves one to marvel to see how intellectually over-matched the current and immediate prior Leader of the Free World are & were in comparison.:(

Back