Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mission editing and suggestions

Redbully

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I figured I would open a thread for ArmA 3 mission editing and discussion. I have a few things I could use input on regarding what works and what won’t in our group.
This thread can also be used for non-mission makers to come with suggestion for missions or creators to ask for suggestions.

If anyone needs help with SQF scripting feel free to ask, I am somewhat decent at it.

ArmA 3 mission resources:
-SQF Language support for Visual Studio Code
-ArmA 3 Tools
-3den enhanced

Mission making
-ArmA 3 Eden guide
-ArmA 3 Mission Overview
-ArmA 3 Mission presentation
-ArmA 3 Respawn system
-ArmA 3 Task framework
-ArmA 3 Mission creation resources

Scripting
-ArmA 3 scripting commands
-ArmA 3 BIS functions

Multiplayer scripting
-ArmA 3 Initialization order
-ArmA 3 Event scripts
-ArmA 3 Multiplayer scripting
-Killzonekids guides on MP scripting

ALiVE
-ALiVE Wiki
-ALiVE Quickstart
-ALiVE Civilian (Useful for non ALiVE missions as well)

Be aware that many of the guides on ArmA 3 scripting and mission making are very dated and some are deprecated.
If you come across a guide telling you to use BIS_fnc_MP, use remoteExec or remoteExecCall instead.

Last edited:
So back to what i actually want input on.

As i am working on the Operation Arrowhead campaign i realize that a good 2/3 of the mission are vehicle crew mission. I am wondering if that would actually be fun or if i'm better of reworking them to light motorized / infantry missions.

The 4th mission (Open Season) is a helicopter mission where the player pilots a Apache attack helicopter. My initial thought was to put two players in a helicopter and 3-4 on the ground as a FAC (Forward air controller) team on the ground. But after thinking about it i'm not sure it would actually be fun, especially if people are not well versed in ACE's fire control system.

As a learning experience i have been working on a script for making dynamic garrisons in cities. So far the basics seems to be working pretty well.
1631022059631.png
1631022078113.png
Done by finding the radius of the city in the config, then finding the road segments right outside of that radius, checking what the largest road is and then selecting potential checkpoint sites. The actual garrison part is easy enough as i already used that on the Good Morning Takistan mission.

My end goal is to make a simple High Command AI that attempts to manage the garrison of and defend a small selection of towns.

As a learning experience i have been working on a script for making dynamic garrisons in cities. So far the basics seems to be working pretty well.
View attachment 25585
View attachment 25586³
Done by finding the radius of the city in the config, then finding the road segments right outside of that radius, checking what the largest road is and then selecting potential checkpoint sites. The actual garrison part is easy enough as i already used that on the Good Morning Takistan mission.

My end goal is to make a simple High Command AI that attempts to manage the garrison of and defend a small selection of towns.
Wow, wayyyyy beyond any of my mission building skills. A few units in the mission editor, basic triggers and away we go :ROFLMAO:

In the various campaigns I've done I've kept if foot soldiers. I don't think we have anyone with pilot skills any better than the AI and the risk of wrecking a mission with an unintentional helicopter crash or two.... where's my immersion......

I've done artillery a few times with peeps as the FO and then others being on mortars but honestly very few people want to man a mortar. Everyone wants to be the FO. If one removes the map markers so it's grid ref only its more interesting and I've found this type of mission fun, but I'm happy to be on mortar and don't need the body count. If you put peeps in helicopters I think you'd be looking at carnage.

Whatever you do, the group will be happy (y) and thanks for making the effort. It takes a LOT of work to script and get missions running. Whatever we get, round of applause from me.

Yea that was what i was thinking, there are also the two armored mission where the player(s) man a one MBT and three IFV's to push through heavily defended sectors of the takistani frontline. I am thinking about making only one of them and rather working the other one too a light motorized mission.

I am considering making one of the ArmA 2 coop missions that came with the BAF expansion. Where a ground team is inserted by a Lynx helicopter which proceeds to support the squad. That would only need one pilot.

I avoid armour because it seems that some roles just don’t get to do a lot. The gunner, nice role shooting the shit out of everything but often engaging beyond the AI range, in open terrain not such a challenge especially if people have a long draw distance setting. The driver, if only 1st person doesn’t really get to do/see a lot. Forward, stop, back, forward kinda thing. A commander, can be kinda redundant if the gunner is Rambo playing. The machine gunner, if there is one, does bugger all to be honest.

We can maybe field 2 to 3 vehicles, So if there’s any drop in player numbers then getting the AI count right for balance can be tough. I’m happy to give it a go, @Vartuoosi did some WWII stuff, but we did end up being infantry for some of the fight as people got out to engage and get kills.

if we did do one successfully then I’d like to know the mission workings so I could potentially replicate

Some good input. I will make the second mission, Pathfinder, as originally intended. I was about 60% done before swapping to RHS. I will use it as a test to see whether or not to make the second armor mission in the campaign.

I avoid armour because it seems that some roles just don’t get to do a lot. The gunner, nice role shooting the shit out of everything but often engaging beyond the AI range, in open terrain not such a challenge especially if people have a long draw distance setting.
Some vehicles are definitively more suited for co-op play than others. It would be modern vehicles where there is no machine gun role. The mission takes place in the Takistani mountain range so AI range shouldn't be an issue. When i was testing the mission i placed an AI team with an AT-4 far in the back (2km) and it was a royal pain in the ass to deal with. I agree with your point about the driver, it can be boring if the cooperation within the vehicle is bad.

Some additional info>

I remember seeing that when it came out, it has really been a long while.
Edit: After re-watching that dslyecxi video i kind of want to make an opened ended missions rather than the pathfinder linear mountain pass mission. MIgth have to give it further thought.

Last edited:
I love Arma AI.....

Made a script for the AI to perform a pseudo 80's soviet motor rifle attack, no error, few logical errors.
AI decided to drive into the first tree they find and get stuck :poop:

Regarding mission suggestions.
As i wrote at the top of the thread, feel free to suggest mission ideas for me or someone else to make. I myself have very bad fantasy when it comes to making missions so i am happy to work on someone else suggestion.

Just follow a template like this (or freestyle it):

Setting:
Vietnam war, US soldiers are suddenly under heavy attack and surrounded.

Historical/Fictional Context:
Vietnam, Khe Sanh region, 1968, Tet Offensive.
(If it's an historical battle, you can post links to source content here, if you wish)

Mission/Objectives:
Patrol the area between hill 881 South and Khe Sanh Combat base.
-The squad is tasked to reconnoiter the area between the US held hilltops and the KSCB to make sure no VC/PAVN troops have slipped past during the last night's bad weather.

These settings are available:
Cold War: US, UK, USSR (other factions can be made with the available content)
Modern (2000-2012): NATO (UK, US), East Europe (Russia, Ultranationalists, Communists, Separatists, fake Ukraine, UN), Middle east (Take your pick of real/fictional factions), Africa, ArmA Universe (Takistan, Ardistan, Chernarus, Malden, Sahranai, Altis, Tanoa), Serbia, And enough content to make custom factions if needed, as long as they use available weapons.
WW2: Early war (39-41): Finland, USSR, Norway, Late War (44-45): USSR, Germany, US, UK
Vietnam: US, ARVN, VC, PAVN (65 and 68). Laos, Cambodia, North and South Vietnam missions possible.

There are a lot of maps available, and should not be too much of a limiting factor)
If you have a very specific idea you can just draw it on one of the arma maps and post it.

Here is the maps we are using:
-Modern (+Cold war)
-WW2
-Vietnam

Last edited:
I want to run some modded Vietnam Mike Force sessions, but due to our server situation it would probably mean the temporary removal of the ww2 modlist.

Since adding more space to the server would double the price we might as well swap the secondary modlist around for a month or two at a time. Any thoughts on this?

I can only realistically run mod list at a time, space constraints on my aging computer, so I'm fine with running a mod list for a protracted period,saves me deleting and reloading every other week.

@Gnarly, @Concord, @Vartuoosi, @Aurelius, @Nathangun, @Redbully, I know last week was the 2022 finale, but anyone up for a session tomorrow, looks like I'll be free :ROFLMAO:

Disappointed I missed this session guys.
Just wanted to say, that although we've only been online mates, over voice chat on ARMA3 I've come to know something about each of you and your personalities over many sessions over many months (*years!).
I can honestly say that I enjoy the company of each of you lads, and I'm fond of you all.
Have a good xmas and new years lads, catch up with you in 2023.

Disappointed I missed this session guys.
Just wanted to say, that although we've only been online mates, over voice chat on ARMA3 I've come to know something about each of you and your personalities over many sessions over many months (*years!).
I can honestly say that I enjoy the company of each of you lads, and I'm fond of you all.
Have a good xmas and new years lads, catch up with you in 2023.
Sadly it was only @Aurelius and me around and neither are server admins to our session came to nought

@Concord, a bit of Bromance stuff, but the feeling is mutual :love::ROFLMAO:

I wish everyone and your family a great Christmas and New Year

I can only realistically run mod list at a time, space constraints on my aging computer, so I'm fine with running a mod list for a protracted period,saves me deleting and reloading every other week.

@Gnarly, @Concord, @Vartuoosi, @Aurelius, @Nathangun, @Redbully, I know last week was the 2022 finale, but anyone up for a session tomorrow, looks like I'll be free :ROFLMAO:

Crap only saw this now.

Back