Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Monsaint Manor (Drifter Man vs Bulletpoint DAR)

The four near-field Marders were unlucky, but I observed a clear difference: my Sherman crews could see them. They could not see the other two that were at greater distance, no matter what. They never got a solid contact. Area fire was the only tool I had.

I'm still pondering why. There were some trees in the way, the distance was about one KM, and the Marders were hull down. All well and good, but it seems like they were even harder to spot than that. Or maybe I just don't have enough experience with playing on these very deep maps where combat can take place at long ranges.

Once I moved one, you were able to take it out with area fire - but the other one was supposed to cover it. It didn't because it could not find LOS from the position where I thought it could (due to the Marder bocage problem I only realised in this battle).

Another weird thing: how would a Marder be knocked out just because of a nearby HE shell? Marders are thinly armoured, but this is exactly what the armour is there for - to protect against bullets and HE splinters. You're right that it's better to move them if they start taking area fire. But the pattern of the shell holes seemed to indicate the axis of incoming fire was off (before I moved it).

Last edited:
Yes, my are fire was initially off. The condition for success when area firing a vehicle is to choose an action tile that it exactly in the same direction. That can be difficult because the tank you have selected does not see the target. I eventually noticed that I was off and the last two shells on the old position went in the right direction, but by that time the Marder started firing back and I had to withdraw with a deep scratch in my upper hull plate.

I am not surprised that the hits took out the Marder - they were really close. Fragments could penetrate rear armor at this distance or even enter from the bottom. Notice the crater right behind the vehicle on page 8.

Fun fact, a smoke shell (if it is the WP kind) can very easily brew up a lightly armoured vehicle. The catch? You can't directly target vehicles with smoke rounds.

Back