Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mortar teams not following direct fire orders

chiquichops

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hello.
CMFI game. I have some British 51mm mortar teams on area fire orders with line of sight, outside minimum range and within maximum range, but who decide to just sit there and spot. They seem to have popped off a few bombs at one target but now are spending whole turns doing nothing but spot.
What reasons might they have for this, anyone?

Hmm, I'm as perplexed as you. Weapon is deployed. Unit is not suppressed. Target line is red. The detachment has sufficient ammo.
The AI must think that it can't see anything well enough to commence fire. Try moving the team a bit and see what happens when they re-target from a different location.
I find with weapons teams that sometimes one of the members “sees” the target, but the actual trigger puller does not.

Hmm, I'm as perplexed as you. Weapon is deployed. Unit is not suppressed. Target line is red. The detachment has sufficient ammo.
The AI must think that it can't see anything well enough to commence fire. Try moving the team a bit and see what happens when they re-target from a different location.
I did just that. I'll keep you posted.

Sometimes the game allows you to place a direct fire order and the red line "sticks", but the unit is unable to fire. Usually this happens when LOF is marginal. Could you share a screenshot that shows the whole line of fire as seen from the mortar's position?

I find with weapons teams that sometimes one of the members “sees” the target, but the actual trigger puller does not.

The target fire line would be grey in that case, no? Or does it work different with crews that can direct fire?

Still not firing, I moved them slightly but they're just sat there on a fire order one more turn. I forgot to take another screenshot but it's a blue line. Another mortar team are doing exactly the same. It's a conundrum. I did see one team fire a few rounds a while back so I know they can. I figure it's a LOS issue, I'll see if they lob a bomb elsewhere.

The non-expended ammo will be usefull elsewhere I am sure. I've always see mortar bombs like cash: there's never a shortage of places to spend it on...

That is pretty odd. One thing with mortars is if they think their rounds will be obstructed on the way out they will not fire. That should not be the case here - firing over a low wall should not be a problem. Try moving them back from the wall in to the yard behind them and see if they will fire then.

Like I said I don't think this should be happening but there is code to prevent teams from firing into overhead tress or into a tall wall or building. So, I'm just making a suggestion to remove one element.

Also how close is this? Another thing that can happen is the target system concludes the target is past the minimum firing distance (using centre of action squares) but when the game goes to actually target the enemy it finds it is too close (using actual distances). I have had that happen to me with frame throwers and max range.

Still not firing, I moved them slightly but they're just sat there on a fire order one more turn. I forgot to take another screenshot but it's a blue line. Another mortar team are doing exactly the same. It's a conundrum. I did see one team fire a few rounds a while back so I know they can. I figure it's a LOS issue, I'll see if they lob a bomb elsewhere.

We're still waiting for some more screenshots before we can properly help you. It's not enough that it's a blue line.. in some cases you get a blue line but something else is causing trouble.

I hope this gives a better picture. I think it's perhaps the tree, after seeing previous posts. It didn't occur to me that the tree would block the bombs because I had them semi-off.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2021-04-04 00.22.53.png
    Captura de pantalla 2021-04-04 00.22.53.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • CM Fortress Italy 04_04_2021 0_27_16.png
    CM Fortress Italy 04_04_2021 0_27_16.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • CM Fortress Italy 04_04_2021 0_39_08.png
    CM Fortress Italy 04_04_2021 0_39_08.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Back