Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mortar's...Love em...they save your a**

E

enven

So I am currently playing a single player game - Infantry based, Allied - Airborne vs Mixed composition - Assault on a village.

---

I have 3 platoons with btn-hq, single scout team probing the flank, 2 medium mortars, and 2 detachments of bazooka teams.
--

German force unknown mix.

--------

So far in 5 turns, I've managed to push 96% of my force at the approaches of the village. With artillery - what looks like air bursts from artillery or mortars (both), with heavy artillery in my rear since we moved up so quickly.

I managed to disable two Half Tracks which were hull down laying massive fire on my right flank which enters the town, they were crushed by mortar fire from 60mm and Medium Mortars (81mm I think) in the initial barrage, perfectly placed in and around the position.

As my right flank (frontal assault into the village (main road) moved in by 02100hrs I had from their right flank at 2 o'clock concentrated fire from a PanzerGrenadier Platoon. They were silenced relatively quick by mortar fire, no casualties inflicted on my side.

To consolidate the position of concentrated fire on the fire right flank of my assault I moved a reserve platoon to hook across the main road (included with a bazooka team) into the tree-line on a frontal assault on the defense in question.

During this time, a breach team from HQ opened up a Bocage, whilst 1st plt and 2nd plt from E Co. moved in to the town under the cover of smoke.

My far Left flank successfully probed by the scout team allowed F Co. to create an L Shaped assault on the West end of the Village which granted reserve platoons a frontal push toward the zone in question.

Screen shots need to be taken :X!!!!!

Note to self: If you need to silence any combatants on the assault, Mortars are great...MG's do some great damage...

the only trouble I have with motar fire is the spotting rounds they can and do fall very short some times, in one battle I lost a two sqads to spotting rounds, Also if the unit that is doing the spoting gets knocked out you can not stop the fire or correct the fall of shot . So things get very interesting if the spoting round falls short and lands near you men you can bet the FFE will land on their heads !! My men have run in directions to get out of the FFE zone

Yeah, I haven't tried FFE near my assault groups yet. As so far, they've been at least 70-100meters away (Minimum) - Usually the exposure of an enemy position gives my mortars carte blanc. I've noticed FFE to an unknown location upon enemy combatants have been relatively successful too...Especially if they are exposed then removed...Once exposure is set in, be ready to deter and maneuver your forces...it'll be one hell of a bullet sponge if you're the one defending...

Or as the saying goes..."Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"!!!

Back