Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mount & Blade 2

Thanks. Those screenshots look pretty cool. Are the businesses and how they're run basically the same as Warband? What do you think of the interaction with NPCs? Are the companions any different than the ones in Warband?

Got about 40 hours of this game now. I wanted to experience something akin to mongol horde warfare so I went full Khuzait horsemen. It is amazing as horse archers will circle around the enemy and fire their arrows if you give them a charge command.

This guy explored them a bit further. The last bit is probably accurate in showing how powerful these units were in real life and how helpless other nations were against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's that little arrow thingie indicate?

It indicates where your mouse movement is coming from. If its pointing up, like in the image, I was doing a downward chop from overhead to hit the door because it was cramped.

I need to turn it off. Not finding it that useful for blocking or striking.

Thanks. Those screenshots look pretty cool. Are the businesses and how they're run basically the same as Warband? What do you think of the interaction with NPCs? Are the companions any different than the ones in Warband?

The battle, town and village cut scenes look nice. The mountains and water formations on the landscape map don't look that great in my view. Not realistic enough for my tastes. The trees look good though.

Businesses are similar to Warband but a bit better. There is a screen that shows if they are making a profit. Just one line though. Also it shows up in your money count when you point the mouse at it. I have found a mod which provides a better breakdown of what is going on but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I remember you could drop of raw materials in Warband but I do not think you can do this in Bannerlord. You can also set up caravans with a merchant from one of the towns and use one of your Companions to run it. Its very passive at the moment. Sort of set and forget. I did meet them on the road by chance and interacted with them but it was just like interacting with any other caravan. I gave them a whole bunch of equipment for free and moved on. I think in the latest patch the caravans are subject to more attacks from bandits. I witnessed this as soon as I moved around on the map. Strangely when I tried to intercede, I only had the option to not get involved.

I never really enjoy interacting with NPC's in an RPG like fashion in any game. I think its just me. Its the same for me in Bannerlord. I get the feeling that Warband was richer in this sense. There are no audio clips from any of them ATM. One cool feature I came across is that townies may give you a tip on what to trade at a profit. I also played a go/chess like game with a noble women. I have enjoyed the missions from village elders and town merchants.

I am pretty sure the Companions are different to Warband. None of them seem familiar so far. One bloke was complaining when I was raiding villages but I haven't heard anything from anyone else. You can hear the female companions cheering at the end of battles.

Did a long session in the practice arena this morning. Trying to boost my combat skills. Plays out similar to Warband, really brutal. Got a lot of javelins directly through my head. Often soaked in blood. Won twice with a new character and levelled up. It is a good feeling. Installed a few quality of life mods as well.

If you mean your character it does matter. You can build a combat tank at the start of the game and fighting will be easier straight off. It still wont be easy. Three to five guys can easily mob you in hand to hand.

As you "level" you can pick bonuses to damage and/or speed in different weapon classes. I think one of the first ones is only like +3% to damage. You also acquire better weapons although when I was playing they were hard to get. It usually take at least two landed strikes to down an enemy. In my first play through I didn't even know how to trigger the skill bonuses. I still got to level 12 or so, had big armies and two castles.

I have stopped playing the game now but towards the end I was very confident one on one with most NPC's. I was mainly sword and board fighting but I did a lot of arena fights where I was two handed and also spear/shield. I started using shield bash, kick and working on attack combinations which helped a lot. I would venture to say it was getting too easy for me. I probably had a 50% chance of winning a prize tournament.

In battles where the forces are even you cant just charge in like a berserker as this will likely get you wounded. You have to consider where to commit yourself. If you get injured during the battle you have to be even more careful.

Beware, this video might push you over the edge (is not as easy to do as this video makes out):

I went back and took up Warband again while waiting for them to fix bugs and other issues in Bannerlord.

Actually I never played Warband much - I spent a lot of time playing the very old original game. The combat mechanics remain great, even though the graphics are now a bit dated.

One thing I'm a bit puzzled about is "chamber blocking" - apparently you can do a kind of special block by attacking into the other guy's attack.

I googled it of course, but people are only talking about how to do it, not WHY to do it. Why not just use the normal block button? Is chamber blocking some kind of superior block method? If so, what's the use of the normal block?

Bannerlord is still debugging, but to answer the importance question:

Your skill at arms is far more valuable when you are leading a small band, or just a travelling knight-errant equivalent. In a battle of twenty on twenty five, being a personal slaughter machine might tip the odds. In a battle of 800 on 800, other than maybe helping you survive if you lead from the front, it isn't going to have a massive effect unless you personally open up a gap for men coming over the wall or something. And as far as marriage and ruling a fief, it Is quite irrelevant.

Bannerlord is still debugging, but to answer the importance question:

Your skill at arms is far more valuable when you are leading a small band, or just a travelling knight-errant equivalent. In a battle of twenty on twenty five, being a personal slaughter machine might tip the odds. In a battle of 800 on 800, other than maybe helping you survive if you lead from the front, it isn't going to have a massive effect unless you personally open up a gap for men coming over the wall or something. And as far as marriage and ruling a fief, it Is quite irrelevant.

Does Bannerlord have battles of 800 vs 800 on the field at the same time?

I'm currently playing Warband, and the max battle size there is 150..

Strictly speaking, it caps at 1,000 men on the field - so 800 on 800 would start as 500 on 500 with each side receiving 300 reinforcements. I believe the actual engine can handle 2048 unit-objects, but a horseman is two unit-objects: himself and his horse, thus capping it at a 1,000 men to avoid breakage.

I'm leaning towards this game, any good in 2022? I've never played any of the previous games in the series just recently watched a few YT vids and it looks impressive. I've also seen they do a mod where you can play your CK3 battles in Bannerlord!!

Back