Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] 1917

Lot's of level grass for 1917.
That's not Ypres.

OqolyPE.jpg

The movie opened up here last Friday. Has anyone seen it yet and what were your impressions?

Yes, I did.

Honestly I wasn’t going to. I was unimpressed by the trailer.
I then saw the Making of 1917, a fifteen minute short on HBO.
My brother and brother-in-law wanted to go so I went not so much for the story but for the cinematographic aspect.
It was filmed to look like it the movie took place all in one take. In fact, I noticed only two places where there was a cut. Only one of which is blatant and intended. There may have been more but they hid it really well.
They even kind of explain why the grass I groused about is there.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie.
Persistent action and constantly changing terrain kept my interest throughout and made the two hour length go by quickly.
It was really well done.
By all means see this in the theaters if possible.

Just saw it today. I want to say I really liked it, but I'm not quite there yet. Although, when I have a chance to think about it a bit more I may well be.
What uniquivocaly impressed me was the cinematography. Stunning most the time and frequently uncomfortably realistic. Immediately I felt like I was at the front rather than just watching a movie.
Once I accepted the fact that it was all about the camera work it became quite the visual experience. In that regard there wasn't really anything new to the genre. Trenches, bodies, tunnels, hospital tents, moonscape for no-mans' land, we've all see before. It's just that 1917 does it really, really well! I suspect that if one turned off the sound you wouldn't have felt like you missed anything important. Although the theatre I was at had the sound turned up so high I was afraid I'd come out with a nose bleed.
So, at a minimum the experience is well worth whatever you pay for it. I guess that means I did like it.

Saw it in IMAX, very impressive visually.
The story is old fashioned, a hero story, a bit over the top.
As war movies go, this a step in the wrong direction from the movie Dunkirk.
As far as I know the movie isn´t historically correct in that the Allies were actually very slow and deliberate in their advance into the territory the germans left behind.

I must confess that I only saw it today (on television and spoken in Spanish, that's the bad thing, but oh well), but it was still interesting. A 7 points out of ten in my opinion.
Far from the Ten points of Saving Private Ryan.

Back