Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[Movie] The Forgotten Battle (Netflix)

Watched it last night. I recommend it. It's a drama of course but it's well written and the acting is well done, all the while weaving in the history of the battle for the Scheldt estuary.

Watched it -- very mixed bag -- some of the story & Dutch characters good -- the British glider pilot storyline felt tacked on and the actor had all the charisma of a plank of wood.
Also, they flew to Arnhem in an empty Horsa glider with just 3 guys in the back ... no kit, no jeep, no supplies, no gun... nada. Seriously?

Battle scenes ludicrous (no arty prep by Canadians and advance looked more like a bunched up mob of football hooligans rioting than an infantry advance ... obviously budget restrictions prevented them showing how Scheldt campaign was really fought.

Director who LOVEs to crowd his battle scenes with as many extras as possible.

My guess there was a solid story at core of Dutch experience under the German occupation and the fighting for the Walcheren (and a good conflicted character of a young Dutchman who joined up to fight for the Germans, (about 25 000 volunteered for the Waffen SS alone) could've have been developed better) -- and a ton of other stuff tacked on to secure funding.

I watched it but struggled to get into it.
I will give it another chance it seemed very fragmented to me, it jumped around to too many stories and never really focused on any one story line.

something that surpasses Saving Private Ryan
That one is nothing but boring US propaganda.

The Forgotten Battle was nothing that hasn't been seen before. Boring story with bad acting and historically wrong as there was no fighting in Narva, Estonia in August 1944. The 3rd SS Panzer Corps with Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht soldiers together with Estoniam Omakaitse and other troops had left the area of Narva city in July. In August they were defending parts of the west coast of Narva river and further into the country. If that is what they meant with the text "Narva August 1944" they could have done it better.

I would have to watch ...Ryan again to be able to remember how many times the US flag is waving in that film. But as it isn't a film good enough for me to do it right now the answer to your question has to wait.

I see this thin skinned attitude often concerning movies made by Americans, with plots about American soldiers, set in a sector of the D-Day beaches and post invasion area occupied by American forces. What did you expect to see, the Union Jack or the Tri Color? This is not "The Longest Day", which tried to tell the whole story of the Allied invasion. This is a story focused on one American squad and one American soldier.

How in the world is that propaganda? When I watch British produced films about the British war effort, the only flag I see is the British flag. What a surprise! I don't ever think of propaganda though, I just enjoy the movie.

For me, it was anything but a boring movie.

Inglourious Basterds isn't a war move, it's a Tarantino movie with a war theme. I found it an enjoyable watch, but isn't to be considered alongside movies that have pretentions to historical realism, if not a historical story - ie, Saving Private Ryan (historically reasonably accurate, fictional story) or Band of Brothers (historically accurate, real story but condensed for film).

Inglourious Basterds isn't a war move, it's a Tarantino movie with a war theme. I found it an enjoyable watch, but isn't to be considered alongside movies that have pretentions to historical realism, if not a historical story - ie, Saving Private Ryan (historically reasonably accurate, fictional story) or Band of Brothers (historically accurate, real story but condensed for film).

Agree - not a war movie at all -- a lot of it was utter shite as well :ROFLMAO:

So many emotions connected to the waving of the US flag. But that's possibly the way it is when one country tells an empire to stop being an empire so they can take its place by placing their army bases in many countries in a bid to become the new empire instead of the old one.

popcorn-emoji.gif

Band of Brothers was great. I still enjoy that one. Private Ryan is also good. Especially the shocking opening scene.

Back on topic, I liked the forgotten battle. Not one of my favorites but good to see one time. The almost empty glider was unrealistic and unnecessary. I would think it would be easy to fill the glider with extras. If they didn't want to use them for the storyline they could have killed the extras off during landing etc. I recommend watching the forgotten battle at least once. Probably not for your collection but better than most "Hollywood" shows.

Back