Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] The Thing - 2011

Uh, why? Can you make The Thing for the 3rd time better than the prior two? No, I think not.
And this isn't. I'm a big fan of the original version, The Thing (from another world) 1951 with James Arness' first movie roll as, basically, a very large carrot.
At 6'7" he was a natural. I saw it again not too long ago and was surprised at how well it still holds up. It was waay ahead of its time as a monster movie set in current day and was not a werewolf or vampire.
It gets my serious "mTk" seal of approval." Go ahead, watch it at night, in the dark. :D
---
Then there is the absolute classic, John Carpenter's the Thing 1982 version w/Kurt Russell. Monster movies just do not get any better than this. They just don't.
It's available on Amazon Prime.
---
Which brings us to the 2011 version. I did not even know there was a 2011 version until a couple of days ago I just stumbled upon it while flipping through some channels.
And know what? This is actually quite good IF you haven't seen the previous movies, particularly the 1982 edition.
If you have then there is simply no suspense whatsoever as it fatally suffers from the been there, done that syndrome.
However, given that we all seem to have too much time on our hands nowadays then...

Last edited:
I think all 3 are good. I’m a big fan of 50’s sci-fi movies, “The Thing“ is right up there. Carpenters version is the best, with Kurt Russell, a great part by Wilford Brimly as well. I thought the Prequel was done quite well, as I like to watch it, then the Carpenter version, kinda as 1 movie. My other 50’s favs include

The day the earth stood still (My #1 movie of all time)
Forbidden Planet
Kronos
Earth vs the flying saucers (The great Harryhausen)
This Island earth
and to a lesser extent
War of the worlds (Spielberg’s version is great too..weird and unsettling even with Tom Cruise and the bad kid actors)

I didnt even know there was a 2011 version...well have to check it out.
Thanks for the heads up

That was kind of a nice touch by the theater. (y)
Kind of reminds me of what some theaters did when the movie "The Tingler" [1959] was released.
I mean the movie was trash, but it did have a neat trick attached.
-
"The film tells the story of a scientist who discovers a parasite in human beings, called a "tingler", which feeds on fear.
The creature earned its name by making the spine of its host "tingle" when the host is frightened. In line with other Castle
horror films, including Macabre (1958) and House on Haunted Hill (1959), Castle used gimmicks to sell the film. The Tingler
remains most well known for a gimmick called "Percepto!", a vibrating device in some theater chairs which activated with the
onscreen action." -Wiki
-
I always thought the theaters wired the seats with a very low voltage to give the customer's a timely tingle rather than a vibration.
Guess I was wrong. Maybe.

The first one was actually "The Thing From Another World."
I enjoyed the repartee between the characters. It actually had many funny lines in it.
Also, there seemed to be no pauses in the conversations. One character would say something and the next would reply without a pause.
Great stuff.

[referring to McPherson's gun]
Ned "Scotty" Scott: You sure you know how to use that thing?
Lt. Ken McPherson: I saw Gary Cooper in "Sergeant York."

Lt. Ken McPherson: What if he can read our minds?
Eddie: He'll be real mad when he gets to me.

Ned "Scotty" Scott: An intellectual carrot. The mind boggles.

Back