Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mules & Donkeys

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Mules and donkeys have played an unsung but crucial role throughout the history of warfare by carrying or pulling along much of the food, weapons and other supplies needed by armies. -

The mules born from a male donkey and a female horse, they became preferred over horses for carrying loads because of their greater endurance. They also displayed more intelligence and unwillingness to push to the point of injury, which led to the stereotype of being stubborn. Still, the ancient Roman legions marched with about one mule for every 10 Roman legionaries. Napoleon Bonaparte himself rode a mule across the Alps, in addition to using the animals in his baggage trains.

The U.S. Army alone used about 571,000 horses and mules in Europe during World War I, and lost about 68,000 killed in action.

cbe4e02a52ac51923c7cbdaa6f79d93d_zps5srjxsf5.jpg

US Army mules carrying 75 mm howitzers.

Mules have continued to find use even today, as U.S. Special Forces, marines and soldiers rely upon the animals to keep supply lines open for remote outposts in the mountains of Afghanistan.-

getty
commons.wikimedia.org
bbc.co.uk
latimes.com

Last edited:
U.S. Marines with 3rd Platoon, Delta Company, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division and British Royal Marines start a nine-kilometer packed mule hike at the Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, CA, 15 Oct 2007.-
AVHtRlb_zpsrs8aohhf.jpg

Last edited:
That a good memorial. I´m glad there is something at London. I didn´t know it exists. Thanks for that info, Louis!

Greetings :)

Moroccans serving with the Free French during the campaign in Italy, 1943-44, use supply mules to transport their wounded to forward dressing stations.
The moroccans covered a mountainous location, with the mules bringing in supplies and ammunition and, on the return journey, helping with moving the wounded.
cool-old-bomb-pilots-steel-arrows-plane_zps5niwkf8c.jpg

Back