Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

My tour of duty during the first half of the 90s: planes, submarines, tanks

M

Mehlsack

Being born in 1973 I had to wait until the early 90s that I could play my first computer war games. As I grew up behind the Iron Curtain I did not possess an own computer until late 1992. Back then I entered the local University and spent a lot of money (1800DM?) for my first rig: 4MB RAM, 120MB hard drive, 4/86 processor! This advanced device was primarily intended for writing my project papers but as you can imagine I spent a lot of time with playing WAR GAMES which I discovered soon! From where we stand these games may look primitive and even ridiculous but I enjoyed them a lot. In fact some games (as Panzer General) were so good that they are appeared after a little polish just 20 years later again (Panzer Corps). !

Do YOU remember them too?

Flight sims

Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain (1989)

Red Baron (1990)

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (SWOTL) (1991)

Aces over Europe (1993)

Tactical / Operational /Strategy games

Battle Isle (1991)

History Line 1914-1918 (1992)

Panzer General 1-? (1994f)

Steel Panthers (1995)

Submarine sims

Silent Service 2 (1990)

Wolfpack (1990)

Aces of the Deep (1994)

Btw: Did you remark my focus on WW2, ETO? :shocknaz:

Oh, yeah! Aces over Europe was a fine game to its time. History Line I played a lot. And of the here mentioned games Panzer General was my favourite. But what is with Wolfenstein? Was my second game I ever played at a computer. On a 386er. On that machine I also played my very first game - Wing Commander. What for games that were. Battle Isle and Steel Panthers I played only with a friend if I was a guest of him.

Greetings :)

During the last days I found that most of these DOS-games run without much hassle on my Windows 7 (64bit) using a little programm named "DOSBOX". Could run History Line, SWOTL, Aces over Europe and even 1944-ACROSS THE RHINE which did always crash back then! :D

@ Sempai: Of course I did play Wolfenstein3D too but prefered the games I mentioned...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
During the last days I found that most of these DOS-games run without much hassle on my Windows 7 (64bit) using a little programm named "DOSBOX". Could run History Line, SWOTL, Aces over Europe and even 1944-ACROSS THE RHINE which did always crash back then! :D

@ Sempai: Of course I did play Wolfenstein3D too but prefered the games I mentioned...:)

Could you PM me on how it's done please.

The Red Baron Pack, Battle Isle franchise, Panzer General 2, and Silent Service 1+2 are all available on gog.com. All older games on gog have been brought up to be compatible with all the newest versions of the Windows OS. Some of the games use dosbox, but gog does a great job configuring it for you. And all the games they sell are DRM free. They also have sales every weekend and during holidays, so you can pick them up for really cheap prices. Fantastic company.

They also have some other superb older WW2 sims, like B-17 Flying Fortress, Panzer Elite, IL-2 1946, and even Combat Mission Beyond Overlord.

Last edited by a moderator:
While everyone around is exited about CMBS I am playing "Soldiers At War" and "History Line". :D

Back