Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mysteries of CM2 spotting

Sometimes CM2 spotting just baffles me... my tank shoots at enemy SP gun which is an open, plowed field at medium range, my tank is slightly up on a hill, clear uninterrupted LOS.

Very dusty, so tank fires in previous turn, misses, dust cloud around firing tank. So far, so good.

Dust cloud clears in next turn replay after about 10 to 15 seconds ... it then takes the firing tank nearly the whole rest of the turn to reacquire the target -- which HASN'T MOVED except for rotating on the spot in an OPEN FIELD (and having a bit of trouble in a ploughed field.)

Nope, can't see it... entire crew has got sand in their eyes???

What???

Spotting in CM is basically still based on "dice throw"... so when your tank loses sight of the target, it has to roll the right dice score to spot it again. And just like with a board game, sometimes you just keep rolling low until you start thinking the dice are loaded.

What's the medium range in this case?

I could of sworn the LOS check was every 5 seconds!

Battlefront.com
4/7/2014 at 7:18 PM:
As a note, ~7 second spotting time is shortened when units are in close proximity. I think it can go down to ~1 second IIRC.

More info here:

yKqVsZBF_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
would be interesting to know the inner mechanics of this. for example if there are penalties for moving units (fast +5 sec, quick +3, etc...) i highly doubt it.

I'd also like to know. And I also doubt there are any spotting penalties to moving fast. For example, I often find my 2-man scout teams spot enemies way off in the distance, even while the scouts are running through forest.

My tank: stationary, hatch open, hidden behind hedge.

Enemy tank: Moving across an open field more or less directly in front of my tank.

End result: Enemy tank spots my tank, stops, aims, shoots, my tank blows up and never saw who shot him.

That was the day I came close to renouncing CM once and for all. Monty's Butchers

Back