Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Need Help with Scenario Design Using Unit Objectives

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I just posted this over in the Battlefront Forum and thought I should post it here also...

I am creating a scenario with both Terrain and Unit Objectives.
This is the first time creating a scenario with Unit Objectives.
For that matter, I never even played a scenario with Unit objectives before.

I have some questions that I need help with.

In the Scenario Editor - Units I assigned as a Unit Objective 3 German Units:
U1 - Tank
U2 - Gun
U3 – 1 Wire plus 1 Mines, or what I call the Road Block

In the Mission Editor I assigned a name and point value to each U-Ob’s.

I then went to deploy the German units.
According to the manual “When Deploying Units in the 3D Preview” I should see a U in the Suppression Area of the team info panel followed by the number of the objective.
I don’t see a U1, U2, U3 in any of the Suppression areas all I see is an A:1 the same as all the other units.

I ran a test to see if they actually had point values in the scenario and if they counted towards the Victory Conditions.

I set the scenario for 10 minutes and just clicked Go without moving anyone.
At the end the Allies failed to, but could have, received points for the Tank (U1) and the Gun (U2) but the Scenario did not recognize the Road Block (U3) as an objective even though I had given it a U#, name and point value.

The Germans did not receive any points for saving the Unit Objectives from being destroyed by the Allies.

Questions
  1. Why did I not see a U# when deploying in the Suppression Area of the Unit Objectives I created?
  2. Other than being told, is there a way either side knows what the Unit Objectives are? For example Terrain Objectives are highlighted, are Unit Objectives marked in anyway while playing the Scenario?
  3. Why didn’t the wire and minefield points count towards the Victory Conditions? Can an inanimate objects be given as a Unit Objective?
  4. Should the side tasked with defending the objectives receive points for avoiding their destruction?

Thanks for any input and/or advice.

Questions
  1. Why did I not see a U# when deploying in the Suppression Area of the Unit Objectives I created?
  2. Other than being told, is there a way either side knows what the Unit Objectives are? For example Terrain Objectives are highlighted, are Unit Objectives marked in anyway while playing the Scenario?
  3. Why didn’t the wire and minefield points count towards the Victory Conditions? Can an inanimate objects be given as a Unit Objective?
  4. Should the side tasked with defending the objectives receive points for avoiding their destruction?
Thanks for any input and/or advice.

1. No idea... are you using any UI mods? They maybe overlapping where the text should be.
  2. No. You'll need to inform the appropriate side in the briefing. That's why the templates for the tactical maps that were used for stock scenarios are so good, they include little sections for this type of information to be displayed for quick and easy reference during a battle.
  3. Not 100% but pretty sure fortifications as a whole can't be assigned as a Unit for VP purposes. Only applies to the living pixeltruppen and their vehicles. Bunkers maybe treated slightly different given they are like a vehicle in game though I haven't tested. If you are trying to simulate breaking through a defensive line perhaps try to put a terrain objective somewhere behind the fortifications at a point that the attacking force must break through the fortifications to reach.
  4. Generally if the attacker fails to break the fortification line then they will receive zero VP anyway resulting in a draw. The defenders should be assigned something to defend like a terrain objective or their own unit Destroy objectives. A word of warning though, if you only use terrain objectives for the defender then it's possible for the player to simply ceasefire on turn 1 and receive a victory without a shot being fire.
Shameless plug:
Play around with that workbook I created to simulate some VP combinations to see what you think works best and as intended for the player.

:)

I’ve had a few inputs from some guys over at the Battlefront website:

1. No one seems to be able to see the U# in the suppression area. Bug?
  2. Yep have to tell people in the briefing what Units are designated as Unit Objectives. It would be nice though if the units had that U# in the suppression field, were marked in some way or had a nice glow about them to show at a glance who they are.
  3. Nope, doesn’t seem you can assign fortifications to be a Unit Objective. You can in the Editor. You can give them a U#, a name and a point value but at the end of the game they are not recognized as VP’s.
  4. Thanks for the heads up on the terrain objectives.
So, if you give, say, the Allied side only Unit objectives and there are no terrain objectives for either side the best the Axis can do is a 0 – 0 Draw.

I don’t know how you can use UO’s in H2H scenarios.
Against the AI it would just be a matter of what level victory can be achieved. I guess you could make something like a bridge in a meeting engagement a UO for both sides and the first one to destroy it wins.

And thanks for the link to the Victory Calculator. I just downloaded it and will use it shortly.

(sigh) This puts the kibosh on my whole idea for the Probe tournament in using a mix of terrain and unit objectives.
I think one side should get points for preserving objects that were targets of the other side to destroy.
It would be good if there was a “preserve” along with destroy/spot objective conditions.

Back