Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

New AMD card help needed

Paleolithic Monk

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I was finally able to do a major computer upgrade by installing a new AMD RX 6800 XT video card. Thing is a beast and benchmarks are twice that of my older 1080 Ti NVIDIA card. Problem is than now Combat Mission runs like crap. Super LONG load times and horrible frame rates. Any advice?

If the load times went up, too, the you seem to have some kind of background process taking up resources.

Check process monitor.

Very disappointing. I've always gone with NVIDIA, but this difficulty in getting cards and price increases kept me from finding a 3080. I was lucky to find the AMD card and it does run newer games great. I'll keep tweaking settings and searching through forums. Weird thing is I installed the new card and fired up CM:CW first and it ran great the first time and this last turn. Granted the open desert terrain might be easy to render. The dense urban of the CM:RT tourney with a million SMG's shooting is taxing.

Hey Monk - I have a new AMD vid card in my Mac and when running under Windows 10 it loads super slow (like, "go make a sandwich and eat part of it" slow). Frame rate is OK, tho. Strangely, I don't get long load times when running in macOS (I get crashes to desktop, which is far worse, and why I run in W10).

I was finally able to do a major computer upgrade by installing a new AMD RX 6800 XT video card. Thing is a beast and benchmarks are twice that of my older 1080 Ti NVIDIA card. Problem is than now Combat Mission runs like crap. Super LONG load times and horrible frame rates. Any advice?
Did you check that it doesn't run on the integrated GPU?

but this difficulty in getting cards and price increases kept me from finding a 3080.
Yeah, it is really frustrating. I recently got a new machine and was able to get a 3060. It was the only 3000 series the store had access too and they didn't even have it yet - it showed as enroute. Luckly it actually arrived and its in my machine now. It was the slowest 3060 variant so not my first choice but it was the only thing available to me. It seems to be doing just fine.

Ya, my upgrade was a knee jerk reaction when I saw the cards in stock. Got the game running good again. As a bonus, I was able to sell my old card at a decent price on Facebook. Took some of the sting out of the purchase. Here's the AMD settings I'm playing with now.
CM AMD settings 9JAN2022.JPG

Back