Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ADDED TO LADDER New Ladder Report Submitted

Stafford

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Winner Stafford

Loser Koldobika

Was The Result A Draw? No

Combat Mission Version CMFI

Comments Game 1 of a mirror match, Koldobika attacking as the Germans

Combat Mission Fortress Italy Screenshot 2020.08.26 - 14.46.58.21.png

The first of two battles on this map. I brought along a slightly pared down infantry battalion retaining a couple of AT guns and all the mortars. Accompanying was a 76mm Sherman and two A-20G Havocs for strafing runs.
Koldobika brought what appeared to be a Panzergrenadier Battalion supported by a mixed bag of armour including a Tiger I, a Panther, a Pz IV, and a Wespe.

I pushed one platoon forward on the right flank in order to try to intercept Koldobikas forces at an orchard and gauge his strength from that location, unfortunately they never made it due to the attackers setup zone being closer than I had reckoned, instead ending up hunkered down in the creek bed immediately in front of Koldobikas position. From here throughout the game they paid dividends out of all proportion to their strength, in combination with several fire missions along Koldobikas start line - repelling several attacks over the course of the game. At one point my opponent tried to maneuver a Panther to get lengthwise fire down the creek bed which may well have cleared the position but for one thing: he drove through grapevines trying to get there, one immobilised Panther later and my AT guns finished the job.

On the left flank the Pz IV and Tiger supported an infantry push over open ground, whenever the enemy tanks were otherwise occupied I played whack-a-mole with my troops and mortars in order to hinder his troops, combined with the constant strafing of the A-20Gs this seemed to work pretty well. My AT guns had been positioned for flank shots on any armour trying to push the left flank, but once again CMs spotting mechanics made their presence felt, despite being able to draw the blue line from the AT gun position to the tanks location - my AT guns never spotted the tanks. They did manage to nail the Wespe while it was trying to move up to support the tanks however.
As Kolodikas tanks pushed further forward on the left flank, I brought the Sherman into play, first nailing the Pz IV in the side, then trying the same for the Tiger a couple of turns later. However my commander and/or gunner should have gone to specsavers, despite a clear line of fire and no more than 300m distance, the Tiger having its flank to the Sherman and a whole thirty seconds in which to do so, the Sherman sat there oblivious to the Tiger sloooooooooowly bringing its 88mm gun to bear. It finally spotted the Tiger just in time to see an 88mm shell punch clean through from transmission housing to towball. Many bad words were said.
Despite this and some heavy fire missions on my positions causing numerous casualties, Koldobikas infantry were in no condition to continue the push on either flank, and the towel was thrown in.

Last edited:

Stafford

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Not sure, don't get to see those stats post-game. The FO who called them in had a fair few kills credited, but he also did fire missions - so difficult to know which was from which.

They seemed focused on the enemy infantry all game though, didn't even look at the armour.