Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

New scenario - A Beautiful Morning

G. Smiley

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
September 26th 1981

Since crossing the border six days ago, the Soviet Army has destroyed and rooted the NATO forces in central West Germany that have stood in its way. Yesterday, the Soviets managed to complete the encirclement of Frankfurt and reached the Rhine - one day earlier than planned. While some retreating US forces have managed to cross the Rhine, some have been trapped in pockets between the advancing Soviet columns. One such pocket is Spessart, a hilly and forested area to the east of Frankfurt, on the border between Hesse and Bavaria.

A Beautiful Morning is a CMCW scenario featuring a US combined arms breakout attempt against a Soviet opponent that will need to defend in depth and be agile as the scenario unfolds. The map is hilly but rather open and allows for long distance engagements.

ABM.jpg
The scenario is designed and balanced primarily for H2H play as that is where my main CM interest lies. It has been playtested in a couple of play-throughs (big thanks to playtesters Rocketman, Chibot, LiveNoMore and I. Fuller) and I have managed to lose playing both Soviets and US. However, it also has AI plans for both sides, and I'd suggest someone taking on the AI to choose US first and aim for a Total Victory, minimizing the losses while accomplishing the objectives.
ABM-2.jpg
I have requested Author Access to the Scenario Depot so that I can upload the scenario there. In the meantime, anyone that is interested can download the scenario from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kvdsn5j48qs1ynj/AADN-6WwNVP6mnnezbvbJFKea?dl=0.

Hi George, fancy another round of H2H - I now have some time available?

Hi, I think there might be an error with the setup of a Soviet platoon in the scenario posted here. It is at odds with what was posted in the briefing in three different locations.
Actual spoilers for the precise issue to avoid... well, spoiling anyone:
The Soviet 3rd Rifle Platoon which is supposed to be set up in the far forwards deployment zone is actually set as reserves that come on 5 minutes in. This results in units spawning in vision of the enemy on a wide open hillside if they are somewhat aggressive, which probably isn't intended.

I have played the scenario and I agree with EvilTwinn; that is something that would be nice if it was fixed.

I've made a video AAR about this scenario, you can find it here:

Hi, I think there might be an error with the setup of a Soviet platoon in the scenario posted here. It is at odds with what was posted in the briefing in three different locations.
Actual spoilers for the precise issue to avoid... well, spoiling anyone:
The Soviet 3rd Rifle Platoon which is supposed to be set up in the far forwards deployment zone is actually set as reserves that come on 5 minutes in. This results in units spawning in vision of the enemy on a wide open hillside if they are somewhat aggressive, which probably isn't intended.
Darn!!

That error must have snuck in the final version because it wasn't there in the playtesting rounds. I'm really sorry - good thing Soviets won in your game 3Whisky so this error didn't influence the outcome.

It is now fixed and a new version is uploaded. Thank you very much EvilTwin for bringing this to my attention.

And I've said it a couple of times now 3Whisky but it doesn't hurt saying again - your AAR is great and it is a first for me seeing a video AAR of a scenario I've created - making all the effort put into designing the scenario worth it.

Hi George, fancy another round of H2H - I now have some time available?
Hi SnS,

good to hear from you again - unfortunately, I don't have capacity at the moment - but when I have I'll get back to you and check if you're still interested.

ok no problem - look forward to it.

hi there. necro-posting here a little to let you know that i am commanding the Russians here against SNS in a PBEM and so far, I must say, it has been a very good scenario. I will post some AAR when it will no longer compromise OPSEC. I just wanted to post and tell you that I appreciate your efforts here.

hi there. necro-posting here a little to let you know that i am commanding the Russians here against SNS in a PBEM and so far, I must say, it has been a very good scenario. I will post some AAR when it will no longer compromise OPSEC. I just wanted to post and tell you that I appreciate your efforts here.
Thanks Alby, great to hear - all feedback very much appreciated!

Will keep my eyes open for your AAR!

How are you getting on with the game Alby? If you play to the end it would be good to know the results - I'm always curious about the balancing aspect.

We are having it out. SNS has been a great opponent.

I can’t compromise OPSEC here but it’s been brutal. :)

I’m enjoying it !

Back