Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

New (to me) Games Suggestions

Probus

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Howdy all'ya'll o/ (Oklahoma greeting),
I have a new coupon from Slitherine for my anniversary and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Any game suggestions? Some hidden jewels I may have missed?
Here is what I like:
Combat Mission
Steel Panthers
Naval games (Harpoon, Guadalcanal, Midway)
(Turn based or pausable wargames in general)
Kerbal Space Program
4X Games (Empire, Masters of Orion, Endless Space, Empires of Steel...)
All time frames (10,000 BC to 10,000 AD)
X-COM or Xenonauts
Not very good at diplomacy or intrigue.

Also I am very RTS challenged. My son beat me soundly last week when he played Red Thunder for the first time against me in RTS mode. My nice neat German column of tanks were in complete chaos within seconds. Then it got worse when I saw the first Russian tank. I did get a few kills, but that was only due only to my own troops initiative. Had nothing to do with me

If you like ancient warfare - Fields of Glory II

4X games I have and like, outside of what you listed...Distant Worlds Universe -very granular, it's real-time though...Stars in Shadow, Interstellar Space: Genesis, Galactic Civilizations III, Stellaris, Space Empires IV Gold or SE V...

Naval games...if you like Harpoon try Command Modern Operations...it's Harpoon on steroids, you have naval, land and land-based air assets. Modern operational/theater level warfare. Atlantic Fleet is turn-based WW2 naval warfare, Cold Waters is a 80's themed "modern" game. Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is supposed be very good as well.

There's the Graviteam games, which are WW2 and some modern combat, battalion level battle simulators that are single-player, pausable, kind of the same scale as Combat Mission. Be warned that Graviteam games have a bit of a learning curve. Fortunately one of our members wrote a user manual for the Tunisia:1943 title that is excellent and downloadable from FGM.

Gary Grigsby War in the East / West. Go the extreme opposite of Combat Mission. No diplomacy, just fighting a war at the theatre level. :)
I have East but I never got West. I've heard West is next to impossible (as in real life) playing as Germany. Is that your opinion also?

4X games I have and like, outside of what you listed...Distant Worlds Universe -very granular, it's real-time though...Stars in Shadow, Interstellar Space: Genesis, Galactic Civilizations III, Stellaris, Space Empires IV Gold or SE V...

Naval games...if you like Harpoon try Command Modern Operations...it's Harpoon on steroids, you have naval, land and land-based air assets. Modern operational/theater level warfare. Atlantic Fleet is turn-based WW2 naval warfare, Cold Waters is a 80's themed "modern" game. Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is supposed be very good as well.

There's the Graviteam games, which are WW2 and some modern combat, battalion level battle simulators that are single-player, pausable, kind of the same scale as Combat Mission. Be warned that Graviteam games have a bit of a learning curve. Fortunately one of our members wrote a user manual for the Tunisia:1943 title that is excellent and downloadable from FGM.
Wow @HOA_KSOP, we think alike! Of those only Fields of Glory II is not in my library I believe. I will check it out for sure.

Wow @HOA_KSOP, we think alike! Of those only Fields of Glory II is not in my library I believe. I will check it out for sure.
Grigsby's War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition is good. I also have Pike and Shot Campaigns, which is by the same folk as FOG II. Great game for the early musket era, pike troop era.

I've heard from quite some people about it too. I've been on the verge of adding it to my already sizable collection of games, but so far I've been strong enough to resist the temptation.

Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts is also quite nice, although I'm waiting for the campaign features which aren't implemented yet (just building ships, single naval academy missions and sort of 'QBs'. I can't really recommend Armored Brigade, although I should perhaps give it another spin one day. I prefer CM by a wide margin.

WitP. Really? :ROFLMAO:
"Gary Grigsby War in the East / West. Go the extreme opposite of Combat Mission. No diplomacy, just fighting a war at the theatre level..."
And game play lasts longer than the real war.
Well yes, it's pretty involved, but there are smaller scenarios...

<snipped>

FOG2 has my vote! However, my roots in war-gaming began with Ancients tabletop military miniatures and boardgames (WRG, Shock of Impact, Armati, etc. for miniatures / Ancient Conquest, Legion, and others for board games). My interests in ancient history draws me to this game. I am not a Squad Leader player so came to WW2 Combat Mission computer games later in life.

FoG2 is the clear recommendation. What is the FoG Empires game?

I have been eyeing Panzercorps 2 also. What do you guys think of those 2 games?

Field of Glory Empires

It's Slitherine's take on a strategic level ancient empire building game in the category of Rome2 Total War or Aggressors: Ancient Rome.
FOG Empires has an interface which lets you play out tactical battles using FOG2 (if you have it) instead of the simpler in-game battlefield.
I don't own/play "Empires" but several other FGM members do; like @Josey Wales and @Nelson1812.

Field of Glory Empires

It's Slitherine's take on a strategic level ancient empire building game in the category of Rome2 Total War or Aggressors: Ancient Rome.
FOG Empires has an interface which lets you play out tactical battles using FOG2 (if you have it) instead of the simpler in-game battlefield.
I don't own/play "Empires" but several other FGM members do; like @Josey Wales and @Nelson1812.

I love PzC2. It's my go-to game when I just wanna blow up stuff and kill people.
The on-line gaming experience was a bit wonky/lacking last time I tried it. So I haven't bothered and immerse myself in the Campaigns.
Carries on the game genre very well.
Thanks Ya'll. That is very helpful.

@mTk Coin of Antoninius Pius, SPQR Bronze As:
SPQR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mTk
Back