Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Next CM

N

Nimakai

Gratings Commanders

I'm eyeing up Combat Mission Fortress Italy, Final Blitz, and Red Thunder. I already have Battle for Normandy (complete), Shock Force 2 (complete), and Black Sea (complete)
What I'd like to know is what are people mostly playing? As I am wanting to get into multiplayer games.

I'm taking a fondness to Fortress Italy, but that's only because I'm interested in (and if any) mountain warfare is simulated.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The atmosphere in CMFI is just great (very beautiful landscape / maps), the paratroopers are great and you also have winter combat in it.
Playing the Italians is interesting too.

The front in Italy has its own rules, especially at the beginning (1943 - mid '44), when there are hardly any infantry weapons against tanks.
You have to be a little more inventive though. ;)

CMFI has the longest time frame of any of the CM games (except CM Afghanistan). July 1943 to May 1945 and has a wide variety of nationalities, TOE and also winter warfare. About the only negative I can think of is no tank riders. With the editor any of the games can have mountain warfare scenarios created however CMFI comes with some stock scenarios already set in mountainous terrain.

I have everything and typically have at least one game going for all of them. Not much help here am I :D
I would add my voice to say the CMFI is a great choice. There is lots of content and Rome to Victory is the new shinny release which usually draws more people to the game. I think normally there is a sold base of payers as well - you will frequently here people say that CMFI is their second favourite game (you will see statements like "I love <insert theatre here> and I didn't think much of Italy but when I got the game I found I really like it").

I've actually noticed (I'm really late to the combat mission party) but it appears to be that WW2 setting still is the preferred. Honestly? The thing that made me go "Wow!" Was buying shockforce 2. Playing a few missions of that then going "Why Have I not seen this game before!?" So now currently working through Normandy campaigns. And just trying to build my library to join in on some of these PBEM games. I'm currently following the Tournament Gunner is running. Think they are in CMRT.

I have everything but Shock Force. Hmmm, I would say CMFI or CMFB would be good choices. Their stock QB maps are very good, especially compared to CMBN.

While CMBN is the most mature title and has the most additional content (community mod's & scenario's), it suffers from the introduction of a recent AI bug affecting how troops "withdraw" towards the enemy in bocage. CMFI and CMFB are both good choices, depending on your area of interest.

Back