Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

North American P-51 Mustang (Fighter)

The Mustang is such a beautiful and effective aircraft.

It is also very long ranged. I have often wondered why it was never adapted for naval warfare. The long range would have been right at home in the South Pacific.

I just used Google to answer my own question, lol:

• The US Navy didn't need the P51 because they had the F4U Corsair, which had comparable performance, was better suited to ground attack work, and was designed from the start with a tougher structure suitable for carrier operation. The Navy did not want the complexity of the liquid cooled engine and the need to supply and store coolant.

Added to index.

juHk6sO.jpg

Two explanations (found on the web) about it that say almost the same thing and perhaps clear up doubts...

One... To conserve rubber North American Mustang fighters are equipped with wooden wheels during final stages in assembly. Rubber tired wheels are put on when the plane is ready for flights test.

Two... Wooden wheels are attached to a P-51 ("Mustang") fighter plane so it may be moved around the ramp at the Inglewood, California plant of North American Aviation, Incorporated. When it is ready for flight tests, regular landing wheels with rubber tires will be substituted.

Back