Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Obama Heckled. 'Let Me Finish, Ma'am,' President Responds.

I dunno... again it comes down to who holds the power? You take a very one sided stance.... perhaps he did want to close it and the political powers around him derailed it. After all he did say this.... which you so eloquently left out...

"There is no justification beyond politics for Congress to prevent us from closing a facility that should never have been opened," Obama said. "Today, I once again call on Congress to lift the restrictions on detainee transfers from Gitmo." "I know the politics are hard but history will cast a harsh judgment on this aspect of our fight against terrorism and those of us who fail to end it. Imagine a future -- 10 years from now or 20 years from now -- when the United States of America is still holding people who have been charged with no crime on a piece of land that is not a part of our country."

I dunno... again it comes down to who holds the power? You take a very one sided stance.... perhaps he did want to close it and the political powers around him derailed it. After all he did say this.... which you so eloquently left out...

I did not leave anything out...after all everyone can find anything he has said for or against anything. He can shuffle the blame to congress if he wishes but the facts are he said he would close it and within a short period of time after taking office he signed the extension of it....why did he sign it...is he only a mouth piece? is he spineless to stand up to them? ...or is he just a liar? I look at facts I don't take sides in things like this...I might point out things that disturb some people's sunny happy lives, things that cause people to think deeper and not by the first thing they hear.
If he could not because of some reason behind the scenes. then come clean with the people quit plowing smoke. I don't know one person that wants a politician to lie to them, we all want some one to be honest. At least that is what many voted for...what happened to change? seems like the same old thing ...Our politicians do the same here in Canada...our Conservative Govt is now embroiled in a Senate scandal and has done exactly the opposite of what they campaigned on.
I don't make excuses for them any longer just call a spade a spade. If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk, then it's a skunk.

Thing is we all know its a skunk.... why waste your energy waving it around your head stinking this place up yelling its a skunk... we know mate... we know. :)

Well I thought this was the musket room where we can talk about any topic? Oh except religion, may be extend it out to politics also?

The fact that he did not have the political power to achieve his political promise, does not make him a liar. Where I come from, a liar is one who knowingly says false things. In this case he did try to do what he said he would, therefore he is no liar.
When he tried to implement his vision of closing Guantanomo, he was once again, as he has been throughout his term, subjected to right wing fear mongering, represented by his inability to get Congress to authorize their transfer to prisons in the US. He is once again trying to muster the political strength to achieve this goal, and we can see the party of 'NO' is once again standing in the way of getting anything accomplished regarding this blatant disregard for American jurisprudence. Which continues to give us a 'Black Eye' through the lenses of people around the world.
Now don't get the idea that I am an Obama apologist, as there is much he has done that I find every bit as abhorrent as when 'W' was doing it. I just don't think the characterization of him as a liar in this case, is correctly applied.

Well I thought this was the musket room where we can talk about any topic? Oh except religion, may be extend it out to politics also?

If it makes you happy carry on... its just your preaching to the converted. Facman puts it much more eloquently in the above post than I ever could... I guess thats why I stay out of political discussions... sort off. :)

I would imagine because of how the American politics are handled it's like being in a coalition, The fact that Congress is there to say no to policies that Obama might like to do could be a big Problem I would imagine........We have a coalition government in the UK and half the time they don't know there Arse from there heads .............Hedgehog for Prime Minister....:)

My personal view on the subject of is he a liar? No. He is a lying sack of the most fowl excrement in the world.

He should be impeached for Benghazi. Tarred and feathered for the IRS scandal. And have HIS phone lines tapped for leaks.

He will go down in history as one of the worst presidents Him and Carter. He is arrogant, conceited, power hungry and worst of all intelligent.

Just trying to make sure everyones awake!!!

My personal view on the subject of is he a liar? No. He is a lying sack of the most fowl excrement in the world.

He should be impeached for Benghazi. Tarred and feathered for the IRS scandal. And have HIS phone lines tapped for leaks.

He will go down in history as one of the worst presidents Him and Carter. He is arrogant, conceited, power hungry and worst of all intelligent.

Are you sure that is really what you feel. LOL

From someone on the 'inside' working as pesky bureaucrat - it's easy trying to get into government as an opposition member. It's when you get your first briefing from the public servants about 'how things really are' that policies you have in opposition generally have to change. I'm guessing in this case the President was briefed when he came to office about the possible outcomes of closing down Guantanamo - move every prisoner to US soil and they could get covered by the US Legal system, release them back to their home country - asking for trouble etc.

For all of Obama's faults, he's still 10x better than his predecessor. From the outside looking in, it was amazing to see how the US populace reacted to George W Bush Jr, compared to the rest of the international community. A combination of some bad policies and the dramatic growth of the internet during his two terms greatly harmed the image of the US outside of it's own borders. For the first time everyone from around the world could comment and share thoughts on what was happening. Right or wrong, the Internet is the court of public opinion.

My two cents.

But for the internet courtyard thing I agree with You, Ithikial. And to restrict its opportunities they tried to establish ACTA. I´m curious when and with what new name we will see it again. ;) What Bush and Obama concerns - I thought the US President is thought of as the most powerful leader/human alive. How come he can´t decide something and stay for what he had decided? Or is he a puppet after all? How come public is always used as excuse to avoid if there would be a decision needed which would be good for "a better world" but bad for the currently so called Mighty? How come only US and their allies companies get all the orders to "rebuild" all what was destroyed by US and their allies in Iraq and Afghanistan? How come the troops aren´t retreated by now? And please, don´t try to put me off with so called protection of the iraqi folk etc.!
And the FRG is involved there too. I get sick if I think of how our fine leaders pervert our German Basic Law and the so called democracy. One could continue that for far more things but I haven´t the patience anymore.

My two Pfennige ;)

WOW don't hold any thing back Mate.....:)

Why doesn't he just close Gitmo by Executive Order? If HE REALLY WANTED Gitmo closed he would EO it out of existence....immediately, end of story. What political fall out would there be, by law he can't be re-elected...So IF he was a man of conviction, then it would happen. Clearly he is once again blaming Congress, and by implication, Republicans, for lack of action. Unless his pen has run out of ink, the only person that ain't acting by conviction is the man whose lips are flapping in the video...

I tend to agree with you overall. The Prez has shown no sign that he sports a pair worthy of the office he holds. I can understand his reluctance to make the move on Gitmo before his re-election, due to the beating he would have taken from the Repubs over being weak on terror, that's politics. There is no reason, since his re-election, to not take charge and show that he is capable of making tough leadership decisions. As a supporter of the president, I take no pride in the way he has allowed the opposition to dictate to him, and wish he would take the Repubs to the mat.

Back