Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ok, Talk Me Into It.

Shady Side

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok guys Christmas is sneaking up on us. Now it just so happens I have been a fine feller almost all year long. I could probably find a couple witnesses to say so if needs be. Y'all stop laughing, I need a recommendation. I still lack 3 titles having the complete set of CM games. There is a reason or reasons these are the last 3 on the list.

1-CMFB.... a lot of maps look like mud baths to me and the terrain looks awful..i know that is where the campaign was fought but it irritates me getting a bunch of vehicles stuck in the mud every game (i know all the driving tips) but that terrain combined with snow and mud looks like a lot of cussing to myself for "getting another one stuck"

2-CMFI.... the early war equipment looks kinda weird to me .. I am an old dog and while i can learn new tricks but only if i have to..and then i will do a considerable amount complaining and procrastinating first ... and the Italians kinda seem like they are not really worth investing time in

3-CMRT... I have to say ignorance of the eastern front is a factor i know more than enough about the western war to have a good feel for what a scenario will likely be like just from the time period and a good ideal of how the forces will match up vs one and other.. i dont know the eastern front nearly as well.. just the broad strokes of it and dont have that much knowledge of the red army during ww2.and almost none of how the german army in the east differed than the one in the west other than the east is where most of the tigers went to die.. well most of the panzers in general... so it may have the mud bath maps i hesitate on FB for and the unfamiliar forces... of FI................... but then again...... learning that stuff could be a way to freshen things up at times

So that is the list to pick from and an ideal of why those 3 are left. FI or RT would be complete bundle buys with could make it an easier choice based only on volume of content for the money but I dont want that to be the deciding factor. I would rather get the title I will enjoy the most. I tend to play the modern titles more even though I really do enjoy CMBN.

So talk me into one of them..... and if y'all are wrong i wont carry the grudge more than 6 months or so when my birthday rolls around :)

I would go for CMRT with the Fire and Rubble expansion and the newly released battle pack. There are swampy ground conditions especially in the scenarios and campaigns set in Belorussian during Bagration but there is a lot of user generated content that runs from Stalingrad all the way to Kursk and with Fire and Rubble the war goes all the way to Berlin itself so it’s not really an issue. The maps tend to be much more wide open and giant armour battles are pretty common and the Soviet SMG formations are fun to play with, especially in urban environments.

The soviets do take some getting used to but if you’ve played Cold War or Black Sea you’ll see some similarities (lack of junior leadership, concentrating and massing of forces carrying the day) but for me it’s by far my favourite Combat Mission game.

As a backup I’d go for FI over FB. I found FB to be more of the same compared to CMBN, FI with both it’s expansions has a lot of variety and goes from 1943 all the way to the end of the war. The maps tend to be a bit smaller which puts some people off but I love the game myself.

I would rather choose between CMRT and CMFI. CMFB is a good game and all and has some good late war scenarios, not gonna lie (but very muddy indeed). But CMFI has so much more content right now and has the widest time period. CMRT on the other hand has completely unique (soviet) units with some enormous maps for long range fighting. Plus it has one module on it´s own: Fire and Rubble and the new battlepack.
So it is a head to head race in my opinion...

But in the end I guess I would recommend CMRT to you. It just feels different in comparison to the other games. In some scenarios you don´t even have a real objective to hold. More like a "hit and run" ambush by the germans with escaping with as many units as possible. It feels sometimes kind of desperate in the final stages...just like someone would imagine the eastern front would have been...

And you got to know why the germans invested in bigger and bigger guns and thicker and thicker armor: These later soviet tanks are sometimes really hard to kill, even when penetrated. On top they often have a hefty punch themselves.

Little pro tip there: If you have to engage soviets in the woods without previous bombardment....just don´t go in there ! Those PPsh41 are handheld MG42 and they come in plentifull in late war.... :ROFLMAO:

Another vote for CMFI. Lots of different terrain and nationalities including Brazilian, Indians, NZ, and varied Axis OB as well.

The following section summarizes the dates of availability for nationalities and service branches.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 9.40.58 pm.png

Ok guys thank you all for your recommendations. I have not been talked all the way into one yet but I have been talked out of CMFB. Still a bit of a toss up between the other two. You all will know which way I decided in a couple weeks when I am on here asking for a game with one of you. Thanks again..

For my money CMRT would be an easy choice. It's the most technically up to date, has the most content and I would argue the most variety (unless you count the Italians...).

Also, if you buy the bundle you get George MCs battle pack. Has George MC made a battle pack for CMFI or CMFB? No, no he has not.

OK you guys talked me into this......

I posted this with CMFI and CMFB neck and neck for the lead and CMRT a distant third place....... nobody was that enthusiastic with FB so that took it down.... RT and FI seemed to have the most support i was then leaning to FI.. because from what i have seen and heard RT has some really big maps and my laptop stresses out on them at times..... and then a friend of mine gifted me a gaming laptop for christmas..... i have to stop and say i am VERY LUCKY to have that kinda friend...... but with that i went for RT....... so i will try my hand watching Tigers slug it out with whatever those big heavy ugly looking Russian TDs are called and see what the Russian submachine gun squads can really do........

I wanna thank everybody who took the time to give me a recommendation....... i would imagine FI will be my next CM purchase..... i wish i had it for the field warrior tourney @SlySniper is going to be starting up soon..... but i will catch him on the next tourney....

Thanks again guys

Back