Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

OnePingOnly vs. Aurelius: CMRT Haromfa

OnePingOnly

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Aurelius -
I am moving our PM discussion to a thread so I can share proposed map files and pictures.

We agreed on a CMRT Probe QB, with you as the Soviet attackers. I used my randomizer (dice!) to create the following scenario parameters:
Forest, Day, Overcast, Lt.Snow on Ground
Soviet Armored Infantry vs. Gebirgsjaeger
Randomizer.jpg
From these parameters, I searched for a historical engagement in Winter 44-45 in which Gebirgsjaeger were employed in forested areas, resulting in the following "story" for our battle:

You will be leading a Medium Probe by the Soviet 73rd Guards Rifle Division (with armor support) against the 13th SS Handschar (Gebirgsjaeger) Division at Haromfa, Hungary around December 10, 1944, in an attempt to pierce the Margarettestellung. This gives us a good basis for making QB purchases that reflect the historical OOB.
References:
https://handscharhistory.wordpress.com/
https://www.worldhistory.biz/downlo...ionTheWaffen-SSHandscharDivision1943-1945.pdf Pages 277-280

I pulled up Google Earth and topographical maps of the Haromfa area:
Real Haromfa.jpg

I then created a Master Map that we can cut down to a suitable battle area. The Master Map is 1776m x 2576m - far too large for a Medium battle.
I used the real-world elevations and tried to duplicate the real-world terrain features. I cut way back on the number of buildings, however. Haromfa is on a slight N-S ridge, with a fordable stream to the east, a lot of tree cover to the north and east, and farm fields to the extreme east and west flanks. There is a lake and a dam in the north that separates the potential Soviet starting zones. There is not a lot of significant elevation changes - mostly limited to a defile along the stream. There are slight rises and depressions in the fields.
As the Soviets would have been attacking from the north or east, the Master Map does allow for the Soviets to start from the wooded track and road in the North or from behind a slight slope on the east/northeast side of the map. It seems logical that objectives would have been the road junctions and the road south through Haromfa itself.

Haromfa Master 2D-1.jpg
Looking northwest - I've proposed up to 4 different objectives on the Master Map:
Haromfa Master 3D-2.jpg

I attached a ZIP file containing the Haromfa Master Map, and my first attempt to cut down to a more manageable size (Haromfa Small) - 1248m x 1296m.
The Haromfa Small map would have 2 (maybe 3) objectives along the N-S road.
Haromfa Small 2D-1.jpg
Looking east from the objectives:
Haromfa Small 3D-1.jpg
Looking west from the proposed Soviet starting area:
Haromfa Small 3D-2.jpg
I welcome your suggestions on how we cut this down for a Medium Probe, and then I can trim the map down, put in the starting zones, and adjust the objectives as needed.

Attachments

• Haromfa Maps.zip
    106 KB · Views: 1
Those maps deserve to be uploaded to the depot. Nice work on them!

I knew 73rd was familiar to me. The reason is simple - they fought in my municipality alongside YPLA! Handžar division (dagger in Turkish) is also known to me, since it was recruited from the area of Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

I am fine with parameters set. Though, since this week is Christmas, things will be slower on my end.

Thank you, @Aurelius !

I added set-up zones, refined the objectives (all equally scored), made a few changes to the Master map elevations to reduce the defender's ability to fire directly on units exiting the Soviet set-up zone. There are a few places it can still happen, but there are inherent limitations in the terrain. The defenders CANNOT fire INTO the Soviet set-up zone.
Haromfa Small Set Up Zones.jpg

The new zip file includes 1) the revised Master map, 2) Haromfa Small A with 2 objectives, and 3) Haromfa Small B, with 3 objectives along a slightly longer map. Haromfa Small A is probably better suited for more a realistic unit density when using the Medium Probe points allocation, but I will leave the final decision to you.
Haromfa Small A.jpg Haromfa Small B.jpg

A few other parameters:
Attacker 1st Turn Arty: Yes
Attacker TRP: Yes
Attacker Air: No
Defender 1st Turn Arty: No
Defender TRP: Yes
Defender Air: No
All "Battalion-level" artillery (artillery not directly attached to an infantry company) must be off-map.
Purchasing will be done by formations, with the exception of add-on FOs. Formations can be trimmed as necessary.

If the maps and parameters are acceptable, I'll set the game up! We can start after Christmas, or whenever you are ready.

For any other FGM troops out there, feel free to test these maps out!

Attachments

• Haromfa Maps v1.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
I am glad you are doing OK. My family battled COVID at the end of December.

I set up a Dropbox, and have sent the initial turn using the parameters above. I did set the timer for 45 minutes vs. 30, so there is time for some scouting, etc. I will stick closely to the expected OOB... no special Gebirgsjaeger King Tiger detachment here :D .
Good luck!

Back