Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Konrad - 2023 QB Campaign Planning

Impressive. Reminds me of the Operation Konrad tournament I played in CMx1 about 15 years ago. Your Csepel map is the spitting image of the final battle of that tournament, as far as I can remember it.
Since you mentioned carpal syndrome... what is the most tedious/frustrating/repetitive actions in the CM scenario editor when making a map of this size and level of detail?
That would have been cool do to...I had no idea this had been done before.

For this type of map, the worst part is the buildings. There's the clicks to get the right window style, then the clicks to get the right window/door lay-out x 4 sides x the number of stories int he building. There are short-cuts for doing an entire side of a building at once, but every side requires some subsequent customization.

That would have been cool do to...I had no idea this had been done before.

For this type of map, the worst part is the buildings. There's the clicks to get the right window style, then the clicks to get the right window/door lay-out x 4 sides x the number of stories int he building. There are short-cuts for doing an entire side of a building at once, but every side requires some subsequent customization.
I see. Yes, this customization of buildings by having to click through the options is not user-friendly at all. I wish your wrist a quick recovery.

If that old tournament is any indication, your Konrad will be great success.

Since you mentioned carpal syndrome... what is the most tedious/frustrating/repetitive actions in the CM scenario editor when making a map of this size and level of detail?

(edit: seems we agree about the buildings)

Not to answer the question for OnePingOnly, but just to add my own take: The worst about making a big city map such as this is to click a million times to cycle through all the possible combinations of doors/windows for each building facade.

Of course some can be left as they are, but you have to peek inside each modular building connected to other buildings and make sure there are no windows facing into other buildings.

By the way, since I know you like to make computers automate things - did you check out the automatic map generator script made by Butschi over on the official forums?

Of course some can be left as they are, but you have to peek inside each modular building connected to other buildings and make sure there are no windows facing into other buildings.

What happens when there is a window/door connected to a wall of another building. Can infantry see/pass through those?

What happens when there is a window/door connected to a wall of another building. Can infantry see/pass through those?

Yes, they pass through doors, which is fine until you realise you only made a door on one side of the wall.

And windows lets them spot and shoot into the next building which is odd.

(edit: seems we agree about the buildings)

Not to answer the question for OnePingOnly, but just to add my own take: The worst about making a big city map such as this is to click a million times to cycle through all the possible combinations of doors/windows for each building facade.

By the way, since I know you like to make computers automate things - did you check out the automatic map generator script made by Butschi over on the official forums?
Yes, you do agree about the buildings. The inner windows add to the problem - one needs to customize invisible walls in addition to the visible one.
Thanks for letting me know about Butschi's work, I'll check it later this week. Loading terrain from an external file (heightmap/png) is a useful feature, nice to see the community step in and make it.

An autoclicker helps with all that interior design remodelling

What! That'll be very very useful.

Here is the link if you would like to read more about it.

How do folks feel about 45-minute/turn games vs. the 30 minutes typically used during PBEM tourney play? Too long?
For context, battles are MEDIUM size, and on maps ranging from 1000x1000 to 1600x1600. I'm worried that at the larger size, 30 minutes isn't enough time.
This obviously impacts not just battle length, but overall tourney length as well.

How do folks feel about 45-minute/turn games vs. the 30 minutes typically used during PBEM tourney play? Too long?
For context, battles are MEDIUM size, and on maps ranging from 1000x1000 to 1600x1600. I'm worried that at the larger size, 30 minutes isn't enough time.
This obviously impacts not just battle length, but overall tourney length as well.
I'd be happy with either but would it make sense to vary it as need be? So battles would be 30 minutes by default but where appropriate it could be extended? Larger maps and dense urban terrain may need more time.

maybe mix of both but either is fine

I know it may make the timing for some rounds very unusual, but I think it would be good for you to intervene as needed to declare a specific matchup to be 45min versus 30min, depending on the scale of the battle, the environment, etc.

I'm good with it. Then again, I'd be fine with 2-hour huge QBs so maybe I'm not the best person to ask ;)

Back