Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[PIC GALLERY] WW2 Then & Now

Nice this!
Audouville-la-Hubert, France, 1944.
And recent time.
vYdRZPK.jpg

@mTk near your home?
Point Montara WWII Radar located near the community of Montara in San Mateo County, California. Deactivated in 1947.
This radar site was established in 1943 during WW2 a part of a chain of some 65 radar stations along the West Coast of the USA and Canada. These secret radar sites were built to provide early warning and interception of approaching enemy aircraft and ships but also served to assist friendly aircraft that were lost or had in-flight emergencies.
ao9t5bl.jpg

fDC5yUi.jpg

This is the remnants of a WWII bunker along the coastal roadway (Hwy1) known locally as "Devil's Slide."
The radar site is somewhere around there.
Montara is in the far background.
----
p1VjSO1.jpg

----
You can see how the road got its name.
It is not in Pacifica. Pacifica is the next town north as you get out of the slide.
The location of the slide is in an unincorporated area of San Mateo County.
----
464V3dy.jpg

July 19, 1945: Delegates of the Potsdam Conference in Germany seated around the conference table. Josef Stalin is seated at the left side of the table. Soviet foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov is seated to the right of Stalin. US President Harry S. Truman is seated at the top right side; Secretary of State James Byrnes is to his immediate left; Adm. William Leahy is two to the left. Interpreter Charles Bohlen is to the right of President Truman. And Winston Churchill is seated at lower right side of table.
0Ysog4Z.jpg

JdujtnJ.jpg

Curious about the monument so I took a drive down the coast of Scheveningen using Google Maps and found it.
(Nice beach by the way :) )

Memorial of King William I
"The Gedenknaald in Scheveningen is a monument that commemorates the departure of Prince Willem V in 1795 and the arrival in Scheveningen of Willem I Frederik on 30 November 1813.
The initiative to erect a monument was taken in 1863 by King Willem III . His uncle Prince Frederik became chairman of a committee that the king set up to devise a national memorial dedicated to the restoration of Dutch independence.

The memorial needle was unveiled on August 24, 1865, the birthday of King Willem I. Prince Frederik gave a speech and alderman H. Baron Collot d'Escury , acting mayor, then received the monument on behalf of the municipality. The ceremony was also attended by Queen Sophia , Crown Prince Willem , Prince Alexander and Prince Hendrik .

The monument is a national monument . It was designed by architect Arend Roodenburg and made by stonemasons PJ Devillers & Co. In 2003 the monument was restored."

Curious about the monument so I took a drive down the coast of Scheveningen using Google Maps and found it.
(Nice beach by the way :) )

Memorial of King William I
"The Gedenknaald in Scheveningen is a monument that commemorates the departure of Prince Willem V in 1795 and the arrival in Scheveningen of Willem I Frederik on 30 November 1813.
The initiative to erect a monument was taken in 1863 by King Willem III . His uncle Prince Frederik became chairman of a committee that the king set up to devise a national memorial dedicated to the restoration of Dutch independence.

The memorial needle was unveiled on August 24, 1865, the birthday of King Willem I. Prince Frederik gave a speech and alderman H. Baron Collot d'Escury , acting mayor, then received the monument on behalf of the municipality. The ceremony was also attended by Queen Sophia , Crown Prince Willem , Prince Alexander and Prince Hendrik .

The monument is a national monument . It was designed by architect Arend Roodenburg and made by stonemasons PJ Devillers & Co. In 2003 the monument was restored."

It seems that in times of war only half of the monument existed (or was destroyed perhaps). I couldn't find information about it.
Look this:
RmQnyK6.jpg

Back