Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Possibly buying... Recommend?

G

GrandSherman

Hey y'all,

just curious if any one believes this would be a good buy for me... I'm a (fairly) long time CMx1 player and I just recently had this Modern Warfare craving that I can't get rid of... (no not Call of Duty LOL shut up) Anyway, should I buy any of the CM shock force games? If the armored combat doesn't involve thickness and penetration values I will be very disappointed... :indecisiveness:

It's a very different game to the CMx1 series. If you've been playing CMBN recently then it won't be as much of a leap.

I find the tactics you have to use to be completely different to the WW2 settings which is in itself the best recommendation for picking the up. The different strategies you need to employ when using blue or red forces are also more varied than say the US vs Germans in the WW2 era games. Look up 'tanits' gameplay videos on YouTube to get the feel for what an average battle involves.

The base game's scenarios are a little easy so I would also suggest picking up the modules for a more challenging experience.

Ok thanks Ithikial, I'll check out some of those videos you said... How does the tank combat work?

Ok thanks Ithikial, I'll check out some of those videos you said... How does the tank combat work?

Works the same in terms of gameplay controls. ie. 'Hunt' 'Quick' 'Target Arc' etc, but the tanks themselves are very different. Laser guided is a nice change. Don't be scared to move up and take a shot with an Abrams at an enemy that's over a mile away. The quality of armour is also very different between Blue and Red Forces as you expect, but in later modules the Syrians get T-90's which evens up the playing field a bit. Keeping your Blue armour out of ambushes is the big trick in CMSF. Red Armour... well at times it's just surviving. :tongue-new:

You could also consider CM Afghanistan - its an absolute gem and the weapon systems are not as lethal as those you are going to find in CMSF.

Tank combat is 'one shot, one kill' more often than not - eve a T-72 can take out a Challenger or an M1 with a well-placed hit from the sides and the T-90 manages to do that from the front. And if there aren't any enemy tanks around you're sure to run into a friendly ATGM team... :tongue:

Just don't expect a robust QB feature, it's half baked for CMSF. It's much better in CMBN. Even if, like most, you prefer the WWII setting, it's still a fun and worthy wargame for a change of pace.

By the way, the above link is to the old 1.07 demo, here is the 1.11 demo.

We are actually both wrong. Here is the most recent one: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1681&Itemid=318

Does not really matter. Just load it up and play it. You will like it.

You could also consider CM Afghanistan - its an absolute gem and the weapon systems are not as lethal as those you are going to find in CMSF.
Out of all the CMx2 games I find this one to be my favorite by a smidge.... BTW daisy, I have a new campaign on the way for CM:A with the infamous Major Nosov, opps, I should say Colonel Nosov (he received that promotion he was fighting for) in command... :)

Thats great news FR !

Theres just something about the CMA gameplay and atmosphere that makes it special - and of course Colonel Nosov !

Just don't expect a robust QB feature, it's half baked for CMSF. It's much better in CMBN. Even if, like most, you prefer the WWII setting, it's still a fun and worthy wargame for a change of pace.

By the way, the above link is to the old 1.07 demo, here is the 1.11 demo.
Thats true the quick battle is prity poor , and the maps are not very good. But I enjoy playing the large battles against the AI which is prity good

Well thanks for the suggestions... I completely forgot about CM Afghanistan... maybe i'll try that one out actually :D
I tried the demo for CMBN a long time ago and for some reason I didn't like it much at all... Believe it or not, I tried CMBN before I got hooked on CMx1... But the more I look at the new engines the more i'm starting to like em'...

Hell, maybe i'll get CMBN as well...

Back