Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Posting screenshots, videos, etc....help?

J

Jolly Olly

Hey all.

I apologize for being such a doofus....but I don't really have a clue about how best to add pics, screenshot, videos (much less how best to record...or even better make a movie), etc. I am also, at this hour of the night anyway, too lazy to peruse the forum for the requisite info. But...am I missing anything in that I don't see anything like a pinned thread that addresses these points? Lord knows I am...so if someone wants to point me the right way that would be fantastic. But....if there is not a pinned thread with useful info on this topic...would it not be helpful to add one? I'm just asking. Mostly...I could just really, really use some help, advice, and guidance on the "how to's", "best ways", "preferred ways", etc.

Again...apologies if this is a silly inquiry and especially if there is something already there that I am completely missing that packages all this info nicely.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Posting pics is easy. See the little paperclip with the words "Attach files" in the bottom left of the reply box? Click that and a box should pop up that will allow you to browse to the location of the file (jpg, gif, or whatever) on your computer.

For videos, you just have to copy/paste the YouTube link.

Posting pics is easy. See the little paperclip with the words "Attach files" in the bottom left of the reply box? Click that and a box should pop up that will allow you to browse to the location of the file (jpg, gif, or whatever) on your computer.
<snipped>

Another option is the "Insert Image" icon in the message toolbar (the 10th icon from the left in "reply" box). You can upload from your PC or link to an internet URL. People used to use Photobucket as the internet address for their images but Photobucket changed their policies where that no longer works. Many of us now use Imgur (https://imgur.com/). Just create an account, load your images, and use the "Direct Link" there as the URL for your image.

@Jolly Olly

Hey yous!,

Great question, some good answers (this is NOT one of them!)

You are Sooooooooo right pointing out that we should have a useful section, maybe called a FAQ or user manual etc..... I'm sure our most valiant leader @Bootie - may his PC be sanctified, by choruses of (weeping) angels - and @Badger73 - assistant website Tea-Boy and general all-round bad egg would be delighted to assign some responsible person to whip up a quick FAQ.

I experiment madly, often whilst cackling insanely, when trying to link pics, posts and video. It's not unknown for it to take me a couple of days to get a link working and I give up regularly (Zinzan does occassionaly have brain-fails so spectacu;lar that just walking and talking can be problematic. This stuff is not that difficult just non-obvious at times)

(Great idea, great post need more of these - there that's Zinzan-speak to sensible/sane person translation. You're welcome :) )

Ha ha Z-man...you truly made me giggle!

Thank you for the responses guys. As you hopefully noted...I did preface my inquiry with a mention of my being a doofus.

I think my question partially arose from being aware of Photobucket-gate. I have created an Imgur account as that seemed to be what folks were trending towards, but noticed that I could just simply upload a pic direct.

So I guess I still have a question or two....is there a preference between a link and a direct upload? I thought I had seen in old threads where direct uploads were overwhelming the system. Of course, I've lost a lot of brain cells so lord only knows what I think I've read anywhere. Also....is there a preference to format (jpeg, png, etc)?

In regards to videos snippets and/or whole movies...I've got Fraps and know I can use that (I think). Snippets of video I figure I can grasp pretty easy. But I am curious, how easy/hard is it to make movies...or at least longer videos? Some of the movie AAR's are bloody fantastic and really get my blood boiling to play a game. Kudos to all the guys out there taking time to do those kinds of things! I think they are great for the game.

Dear Doofus ( sigh @Jolly Olly )

Imgur seems to be working fine atm. Despite them pissing about with the layout and shortcuts every so often they are reasonably easy to use. (Also well priced i.e. FREE. :cool: )

However everyone is slightly edgy after the PhotoBucket fiasco. My opinion is that anyone who DOESN'T keep all images & vital files backed up in at least 2 other locations deserves to lose everything - a bit like data Darwinism. (i RECOMMEND Cloud storage eg DropBox etc and Physical HDD in a PC, I also have separate backup on another Physical drive in another room personally - really vital stuff is backed up monthly to a USB drive and stored off site.)

DO NOT Direct upload to site - you remember correctly this has caused problems in the past - Don't!!!

To attach a video or photo you need to have them hosted on a.n.other site (YouTube for Video or Imgur for stills - both FREE & Easy - bit like Zinzan) then click tab next to smiley face above - marked dot dot dot down arrow - it's the insert icon, choose
media and post link from website (Youtube it's simply the link in browser with Imgur you need to choose the direct link, link - Yeah not obvious)

Hi Jolly, I use fraps to capture video (the paid for version) and windows movie maker to edit it. Both are simple to use which is why I've not experimented with other tools. If you want to do fancy stuff like Panzer Pyjamas does then I think you'll need something more pricey.

Back