Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Probe Scenario Request

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
If you are not planning to play in the new "Probes Tournament" and are interested in scenario design.....

I am starting a tournament that will be made up of four Probe type scenarios, two Allied and two Axis probes.
There will be one Allied and one Axis probe using CM Battle for Normandy (CMBN) and one Allied/Axis probe using CM Final Blitzkrieg (CMFB)
Each scenario should have troops equal to a tiny or small quick battle try to limit each side to no more than a reinforced company of troops. Less is fine. (FYI Probe troop ratio is about 1.44 to 1)
The size of the map doesn’t matter (just the amount of troops).
Length should be 30 to 45 minutes each shorter the better.

Players will need to have all modules and up to date revision.

Each scenario should use at least Unit Objectives and/or Exits for points (That’s the Hook). Added VL’s are fine too.
A lesson learned from the Scouts Out tournament is to keep the points equal from scenario to scenario therefore each scenario should have 500pts with multiple conditions. (I have 6 with this scenario. I’m trying to avoid ties that’s why so many and I mixed up the point values some also)
I don’t know if it will work but, hey, let’s see what happens.

For the first tournament scenario I took a canned map and tweaked it some.
I also changed the setup area making it much larger for both sides.
I don’t want a player to look up the canned map and think they now know where the opponent is going to start from.
I am no map maker more like a map tweaker. ;)

I used a small quick battle to choose the forces, this way I would have a proper 1.44 to 1 ratio of points/troops

The first CMBN scenario, the second of the tournament will be due in about 6 weeks, two CMFI in about 10.

Let me know if you’re interested.
Thanks.

Each scenario should use at least Unit Objectives and/or Exits for points (That’s the Hook). Added VL’s are fine too.

What's the hook? Do you want all the scenarios to include both sides exiting? Only one side exiting? If you are going for exiting then occupy objectives would run counter. What are your getting at here.

BTW I am interested in creating something for CMFI - I'm working there already and 10 weeks is a time frame I could work with...

I edited that phrase out.
It's like a theater term for how to hook or grab the attention of an audience.

I would say yes to all of it but mainly there has to be unit objectives.
You can have one side or both sides exit but remember it has to be a Probe type scenario.
VL's can be added but not just VL's for victory point conditions

The problem I had with multiple victory conditions is one side does not get points for exiting or preventing the enemy from achieving a unit objective.

For the first round the Allies need to destroy a tank and gun for 50pts each.
If they do they get 100pts
The Germans get nothing for preventing them.

So without any other conditions the best the Germans can do is a zero – zero tie.

To give the Germans points I had the Allies exit 4 trucks worth 25pts a piece.
If the Allies exit them neither side get points.
If the Germans prevent them from exiting they get 100pts (or 25pts each).

I threw in some VL’s worth odd numbers to add up to a max of 500pts
i.e.
Town – 175
Approach – 130
Farm – 95

I hope making these kind of odd will help prevent ties.

What do you think?

Remember Ian, if you design a scenario I don’t know how you can play in the tournament.

I hope making these kind of odd will help prevent ties.

What do you think?
OK that's fine. I was thinking you required exit objectives. To clarify you just want some interesting objectives. That's cool.

BTW I got what you meant by a hook I just didn't get how exit objectives would make sense for a probe. I still don't, but since I don't have to have them, its all good :D

Remember Ian, if you design a scenario I don’t know how you can play in the tournament.
Ah - I had it my head that you had a way around that... Dang I'll probably have to not design a scenario then. If I was not going to play in the tourney I would ideally design several missions but that's just not possible since I already have enough in the planning. So, between only contributing one and playing I'll play.

Never having played with unit objectives before I thought if you gave the Allies an objective to kill something for 50pts and if they didn't get the job done the Germans having prevented it would get the 50pts.
They don't. They don't get squat and it torqued me out.
Now I had to figure out how to give the Germans points that the Allies wouldn't get and that was to make them have to exit something.
The Allies do not get points if they do exit but if they don't the Germans get the points.
It's a head scratchier.

As far as a work around and design I thought maybe if we had 4 designers we could only 3 games. The lowest score is dropped for everyone else so the is total score is for 3 games anyway.
Or we could play as a team. You play 3 games and I would play your scenario.

But I think it best you play all four.
I was hoping someone who wasn't in the tournament would step up.

I think I'll post over at the BF forum and see if anyone is interested there.

Never having played with unit objectives before I thought if you gave the Allies an objective to kill something for 50pts and if they didn't get the job done the Germans having prevented it would get the 50pts.
They don't. They don't get squat and it torqued me out.
Now I had to figure out how to give the Germans points that the Allies wouldn't get and that was to make them have to exit something.
The Allies do not get points if they do exit but if they don't the Germans get the points.
It's a head scratchier.
Unit objectives give points for destroying them. So if you give the Americans a unit objective to destroy a German platoon they get points in a ratio of how much of that German platoon they destroy. If they take 50% casulties the Americans get half the points. If you want the Germans to earn points then give them a unit objective to destroy and they will get points for causing American casulties.

If you change it to destroy all then the side with that objective has to take out everyone in that unit to get any points. All or nothing.

If you add an exit objective then all unit objectives are earned if their targets are actually destroyed or they fail to exit. Exit objectives change things quite a bit - you cannot have an exit for some units and destroy for others - all units that are the target of a destroy objective must exit or be counted as destroyed by the other side.

But I think it best you play all four.
I was hoping someone who wasn't in the tournament would step up.

You know what its time to change things up. I've played in every tournament I could possibly - this time take me off the players list and I'll design a scenario or two - let's discuss. Time for something different :)

First off, if you want to design and not play let me send you this first scenario and let me know what you think, OK?
I sure would appreciate the help.

Unit objectives give points for destroying them. So if you give the Americans a unit objective to destroy a German platoon they get points in a ratio of how much of that German platoon they destroy. If they take 50% casulties the Americans get half the points. If you want the Germans to earn points then give them a unit objective to destroy and they will get points for causing American casulties.

I couldn't come up with a unit objective for the Germans, who are on the defensive, so I made the Americans Exit stuff instead.
Originally I tried to make wire and mines a unit objective for the American engineers but you can't make them objectives.

If you add an exit objective then all unit objectives are earned if their targets are actually destroyed or they fail to exit. Exit objectives change things quite a bit - you cannot have an exit for some units and destroy for others - all units that are the target of a destroy objective must exit or be counted as destroyed by the other side.

Right. The Americans have unit objectives to destroy and the Germans must prevent the Americans from exiting and they both have terrain objectives to occupy.

Back