Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Problems installing CM games

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
New computer. Setting everything up, including CM games.
Logged into Battlefront, went to previous orders. All the files are either brz or bin.
Anyone know what I'm supposed to do with these file types?

Its really not that hard people
You already bought CMFI for example along with Gustav Line and R2V.
Go to the all in one installer, determine if you are on a mac or windows and click download on the appropriate application
Simple.... don't even worry about installing patches that way

Where are the all in one installers? I accessed the game files via my previous orders on the Battlefront website.

I got Black Sea installed. How I did it:
I downloaded the 'setup' file and the 2 'bin' files (a and b).
When I double clicked the setup file it asked for disks.
I chose the option to find the files myself and browsed to where the bin files were.
Went as expected from there.

Go to the Battlefront store
Go to the game you want to install (Black Sea)
You should see several options there

Download the complete game for either windows or mac

Why don't you just download it again? You get the latest version that way. It is all backed up at the Battlefront Website.

A bin file is not the right file!

One of the steps is not really that easy to get files from BFC but most of them are. Here is what you do - step by step:
Log into the store. Select My Account along the top or from the drop down menu. Then pick My Orders:
1614784665366.png

This is the part that sucks - finding the order where you actually bought something with the download link. It took me a few tries but I found my purchase of the v4 engine upgrade. For you it might be a more recent bundle purchase or the purhase of a specific title. You just have to find the right order.
1614784745243.png

Once you have the right order click on the share file link:
1614784883011.png

In my case it was for a bunch of products - you might only have one product - depending on what you purchased. What you want to look for is something that says <OS> FULL <Product name>. That's the full installer. For me I had to follow a few links:
1614784936492.png

Notice Windows and FULL in the name - that's the one you want.
1614784991157.png

Download the .rar file - for Windows this is the correct file type:
1614785048168.png
You do need a tool to unzip the resulting file - I suggest 7-zip but there are many others that can work too.

I ma trying to work out where you found the brz/bin files actually! ;D

Oh, and don't forget, modern titles you may prefer to just do through Steam, therefore they will auto-update etc.

@A Canadian Cat thanks very much for the detailed instructions, much appreciated.

I did follow this procedure exactly the first time, and there were no rar files at all, only brz and bin files, which surprised me.
I wonder if my permission to download the proper rar file has expired. I bought most of these a long time ago - like 2014 or something.
Hopefully that's not the case - I don't fancy having to pay for it a second time.

I've had to disassemble my computer area again because of renovations, but I will have it up and running again this afternoon, so I will check again. Maybe I selected the wrong order number or something.

I just checked Battlefront again on this computer.

CM Black Sea Engine 3 was purchased in 2015 and has only brz and bin files listed.
CM Final Blitzkrieg Engine 3 was purchased in 2016 and has the full rar file available.

Upgrade 4 Big Bundle was purchased in 2017 and when I click on Black Sea, I found CM Black Sea v213 Installer.rar
Hopefully that's the full game right there.

P.S. maybe the Big Bundle has everything I need. I might have been looking too far back in time. I will test and confirm this afternoon.

Set up my computer again, downloaded CMBS via the "Upgrade 4 Big Bundle" section, and installed.
I used the "Activate New Products" shortcuts and entered the key.
When I start, it says "License Failure: Game Engine 4 is required. Run the Activate New Products utility and enter the license key." :rolleyes:

I then downloaded and installed the "CMBS v200 Upgrade" and ran the activate new product utility.
When running the game, it says the same: "License Failure: Game Engine 4 is required. Run the Activate New Products utility and enter the license key."

In the end I gave up. Such a waste of friggen time.
I used Slitherine to register CMBS and got a Steam key.
Thanks for the suggestion @Gnarly.

I wonder how I will go with the other titles that aren't on Steam yet. :sick:

I reinstalled all games on my new PC a few years ago without issues. Used the 'all in one' installers, applied all keys per family, done. Perhaps you didn't register the key for the upgrade 4?
For CMBS that would be (IIRC):

Install all in one installer
Activate base game with original key
Activate upgrade (big bundle engine 4 upgrade key)
Activate battle pack

And yes for CMBN and CMSF2 mainly there are quite lot of keys to be activated. And indeed steam is much more easy :)

Install all in one installer
Activate base game with original key
Activate upgrade (big bundle engine 4 upgrade key)
Activate battle pack
^^^ This.

For the other titles you have to enter the key for the original game you bought, the engine upgrade you bought and the modules you bought. It's all very manageable and not that hard - its just not very clear.

Back